commands and editors

I go a bit crazy searching for anything info to address my issues with no luck.

A small list for folks to reply or please send me a link/post about the issues below. (sorry if some seem basic)

When I try to run mcedit, after telnet from my mac to tower, I get an unhappy window where I cannot use any function keys for editing and the text goes to different places and my usual keys just dont work correctly. I remember using mc a long while ago with Fedora but it was much friendlier. Could it be my mac?

So I have tried vi and I get an xterm-color error, I would love to fix that issue but don't know how. Can't find anything on xterm-color that is specific to unRaid whether I google or search this forum.

So I tried nano from my mac terminal and all looked good until I try to save a file, I get a 'bus error'. ??

I also want to install some packages that don't download from the unMenu so I use the link provided and typically install to my packages folder. However I try to 'installpkg' with command not recognized. I also do not remember how to unpack a zip.

I had a Linux box, Fedora, for quite some time and did well with command line but I have been away from it so I need some refreshing. I know a lot of commands are quite universal but it seems some do not work in unRaid. Can you point me to a list?

I try to look at other ways packages are installed as well as other commands from other posts and wiki/manuals but they don't seem to work.

I am also trying to find info on whether I should install unRaid on my ide drive for swap/cache and to use the USB as a backup should anything happen to the HHD.

I apologize if this should be threaded out better. I will continue to refine myself on this board as I get use to it, please be patient.

I am a bit embarrassed but I need a little re-educating and I will be good to go.

I have 4.7 up and running well.

Also, I gave a reply in another thread and I can not find it. I go to 'show new replies to your posts' with nothing indicating my last post/reply.

Thanks for all the help. This seems like a wonderful dignified forum with professional and polite folks. I am happy to come aboard. Is there an area to introduce myself.

Thanks,

Camel

Select preferences in the Mac Terminal program. Choose Settings and then Advanced. Change Declare terminal as: to xterm. This will solve the xterm-color error.

While there is a way to run unRAID from a HD, the USB drive is still required for the key to be recognized. It might work without the USB key if your running the basic version but I don't know for sure. There are instructions somewhere that explain how to run the plus or pro version from a HD but the USB drive is still required to be installed for the license key to be recognized.

I purchased one of these, http://www.pcrush.com/product/Cable-Adapters/416594/Startech-2-Port-USB-Motherboard-Header-Adapter, in order to mount my USB drive internally. Others have reported using this, http://www.pcrush.com/product/Cable-Adapters/179894/Startech-USB-A-Female-to-Motherboard-Header-Cable-Adapter, and Velcro for internal mounting.

I go a bit crazy searching for anything info to address my issues with no luck.

A small list for folks to reply or please send me a link/post about the issues below. (sorry if some seem basic)

When I try to run mcedit, after telnet from my mac to tower, I get an unhappy window where I cannot use any function keys for editing and the text goes to different places and my usual keys just dont work correctly. I remember using mc a long while ago with Fedora but it was much friendlier. Could it be my mac?

Escape followed by a number is a substitute for the function keys.  Esc-1 = F1, Esc 2 = F2, etc..  On windows the "putty" telnet client supports both the function keys and the mouse.

So I have tried vi and I get an xterm-color error, I would love to fix that issue but don't know how. Can't find anything on xterm-color that is specific to unRaid whether I google or search this forum.

unRAID does not have color-xterm defined.  You can get vi to work easily.  Just type

TERM=xterm

first.

So I tried nano from my mac terminal and all looked good until I try to save a file, I get a 'bus error'. ??

Since nano is not installed on unRAID, is it possible you are invoking it on your MAC?

I also want to install some packages that don't download from the unMenu so I use the link provided and typically install to my packages folder. However I try to 'installpkg' with command not recognized. I also do not remember how to unpack a zip.

Again, it sounds as if you are entering the command on your MAC.  Installpkg must be used as the .tgz files are not simply zip-like archives, but install commands tool.  You can download using the links, and move the files to the /boot/packages directory, but then just use the unMENU package manager from there.  It will see the file is already downloaded and just use  it.

I had a Linux box, Fedora, for quite some time and did well with command line but I have been away from it so I need some refreshing. I know a lot of commands are quite universal but it seems some do not work in unRaid. Can you point me to a list?

Unfortunately, there is no "list" other than for you to type:

ls /bin /usr/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/bin /sbin /usr/sbin

I try to look at other ways packages are installed as well as other commands from other posts and wiki/manuals but they don't seem to work.

Do not be afraid to ask specific questions.  First is to get you logged onto the server.

I am also trying to find info on whether I should install unRaid on my ide drive for swap/cache and to use the USB as a backup should anything happen to the HHD.

installing unRAID on a hard disk is a very advanced task... The flash drive must be used for the license key regardless.  For backup, all you really need is a copy of the "config" folder, and perhaps the "packages" folder if you've downloaded a lot of add-ons.  (the unmenu folder might be good to back up too if you have it installed)

I apologize if this should be threaded out better. I will continue to refine myself on this board as I get use to it, please be patient.

I am a bit embarrassed but I need a little re-educating and I will be good to go.

I have 4.7 up and running well.

That is a good first step.

Also, I gave a reply in another thread and I can not find it. I go to 'show new replies to your posts' with nothing indicating my last post/reply.

I've done that when I clicked on "preview" instead of "post" and thought I had replied.  Perhaps you did the same.

Thanks for all the help. This seems like a wonderful dignified forum with professional and polite folks. I am happy to come aboard. Is there an area to introduce myself.

Thanks,

Camel

Nice to meet you too.

Joe L.

Select preferences in the Mac Terminal program. Choose Settings and then Advanced. Change Declare terminal as: to xterm. This will solve the xterm-color error.

While there is a way to run unRAID from a HD, the USB drive is still required for the key to be recognized. It might work without the USB key if your running the basic version but I don't know for sure. There are instructions somewhere that explain how to run the plus or pro version from a HD but the USB drive is still required to be installed for the license key to be recognized.

I purchased one of these, http://www.pcrush.com/product/Cable-Adapters/416594/Startech-2-Port-USB-Motherboard-Header-Adapter, in order to mount my USB drive internally. Others have reported using this, http://www.pcrush.com/product/Cable-Adapters/179894/Startech-USB-A-Female-to-Motherboard-Header-Cable-Adapter, and Velcro for internal mounting.

That took care of my xterm issue. The usb internal mounts are a great way to hide and secure the flash drive. Next time I put an order in I will pick up a couple of those pieces. Thanks!

Once I took care of xterm I used vi with no problem.

Yes, I was trying to invoke nano from the mac, didn't work. But got the vi to work after taking care of the xterm color issue. I see now how the download/install works. Download the .tgz to /boot/packages and the unmenu installs it from the Pkg Manager. Gotta love it.

I am getting a good handle on the basics again. Now I will have to work on learning compiling.

I'm getting in and out of the server via 80 and 8080 now. I have a 4.7 box up and now working on a 4.6 box which I will post questions about on a new thread but I am getting the hang of this. Have to put in some time to get it all. I never know when I will get time but I like to try to end my day with doing work on unraid, except I end up staying up too late.

I think I will use a small drive for a swap. But I will copy off the flash and back up the flash to the unmenu folder.

I don't know how to check my old posts...other than to do a search with my user name.

Good to meet you too Joe, this is a cool place to be. Thanks again!

Camel

Click on Profile on the lower left of the page header. There is a link that shows your posts.

Now that's what I was looking for. I am feeling my age when I can't roll around these forums like I used to. Thank you for that bit of concerning info, some stuff just makes me nutty when I can't find it - especially when it is somewhat obvious.

All the best dgaschk

Yes, I was trying to invoke nano from the mac, didn't work.

I was able to download the nano source and complie it under my unRaid build.

I know vi is cool and hacky and all, but nano is so much more strait forward and fast...  I am on that box via ssh editing for maybe an hour once a month...