Please help - upgrade killed my unraid

Hi, I upgraded my UnRaid server to version 4.7 yesterday. I believe I did this properly, just overwriting three files with new versions on the flash drive.

The result is an inaccessible unraid server, although at least it seems to be running version 4.7!

I have attached a screengrab of the problem, in short it is showing a "replacement drive" even though I made no hardware changes and haven't done so for several months. It also believes the replacement drive to be too small by 4 bytes, even though it's the same drive.

It should in theory also be the same size as the other 1.5TB drive next to it, and it isn't. The thing is, even if it is a failing drive I would still like to have the server running with a virtual disk, not just failing to run altogether. Also, I did check that everything was running smoothly prior to attempting an upgrade and it all appeared to be okay.

Here's the screenshot:

unraid_problem.jpg

As you can imagine it is really not good having no access at all. None of the drives were full anyway, is there anything I can do here?

I will be very grateful for any help.

Jason

Thank you both.

I admit I am a bit puzzled, but to cut a long story short I reset the drive to its native maximum using Seatools, and it has now been accepted as a replacement drive by unraid, so a parity rebuild is underway. It is now showing the same size as the other identical drive.

I don't really understand how the drive lost 4 more bytes on the reboot/upgrade to be honest, but I guess it doesn't matter as the drive was clearly undersized (because of HPA?) anyway.

Thanks again!

Jason

I'm attempting to upgrade from 4.56 to 4.7. If downgrade the issue goes way and everything works just dandy again.

I have the same issue with a GB board. I don't have access to a regular pc where I can place the drive in and run Western Digitals equivalent of SeaTools to format it to its maximum.

My server is headless at the minute, so I can't reboot to check if HPA was disabled in the bios, but I do remember upgrading the bios when I built the thing (didn't know about hpa then!)

What other options do I have?

I'm attempting to upgrade from 4.56 to 4.7. If downgrade the issue goes way and everything works just dandy again.

I have the same issue with a GB board. I don't have access to a regular pc where I can place the drive in and run Western Digitals equivalent of SeaTools to format it to its maximum.

My server is headless at the minute, so I can't reboot to check if HPA was disabled in the bios, but I do remember upgrading the bios when I built the thing (didn't know about hpa then!)

What other options do I have?

Wait until it is not headless.

no longer headless... :)

the only thing I can find in the bios is an option for dual bios which has two selectable options:

backup from dual bios

back from hdd hda

backup from dual bios is selected

Make sure that you resolve this. If your board does not turn off HPA by default then the problem will reoccur when CMOS is reset for any reason, e.g., the CMOS battery dies. Having the option to disable it is not good enough; the board must default to the off setting. Sometimes a BIOS update will fix the problem. Although, other have replaced there MB due to this problem. Motherboards the have HPA enabled by default are not suitable for unRAID.