checksum for moved files

larson

I am moving some files off some old disks, and is using a Ubuntu boot to access them. I would like to somehow checksum everything after the move to see it's fine. Had I used windows I would have looked at teracopy, but now I cannot use that. Can I use md5sum to make checksums for the files and then check it after move? How do I make it dig down in the dirs and save an outputfile that I can use to check all files on my unraid server? Or is there a better, easier way?

/Lars Olof

Troubleshooting unMenu would be a whole other topic and I'll leave that up to Joe L.  You could always mount the shares on the Ubuntu box and run the md5 compare across the network.  Not ideal, but not a horrible solution either and if this is just a one time thing it would get the job done.

Ok, so I got it working in the end. Now I have md5deep on both source and target. On source I ran

md5deep -r -e -l >md5sum.txt 

and got myself a nice file with lots of sums in. But I can't quite get the hold of how I can run a check on the files on the target. I am looking at

md5deep -x md5sum.txt 

but don't feel it's doing right. The info I find on the web is not very helpful, so if someone here could help me out a bit I'd appreciate it.

/Lars Olof

Archived