No boot after changing cables

Hi,

I just moved my unraid to another case and got everything there, tested to boot, everything was fine (although couple of drives were not connected to power cords). I fixed that.

When I saw that the drives were okay, I tried to get the cables to fit more effeciently (it was a mess). I took of the main power cord and sata cables from the drives. When

I got that to seem right, I connected the power etc. and booted... All seems to be fine, but my usb stick doesn't seem to have any life in him. I connected a monitor to the server to see what is going on. I get no signal to my monitor.

I tried the graphics card to my main computer and it worked ok. I took the card from my main comp and tried it to unraid server and it isn't booting.

I also removed the cmos battery to reset any conflicts, but was no-go.

What could be wrong?

Is there anything I could test to rule out other reasons?

You could try unplugging all the drives (and any controller cards as well) and see if it will POST at all.

Also, pull and re-seat the memory.

If it still doesn't post, and no signal to the monitor, do you have another power supply to test with? 

Also, if the bios *does* comes up, don't forget to reset the boot order so the flash drive boots... :)

Thanks!

I only unplugged the 20/24 pin power connector and reconnected it.

Because the power is placed and the bottom of the case the cables seem to bend downwards a little.

Maybe those four seperate connectors are a little loose because of that and the mobo cannot get enough juice.

Will try to support it somehow as soon as I get home.

If you have another motherboard handy that's certainly something you can try.  Also, if you have a video card handy, you could plug it in and see if it works.

Have you tried unplugging everything and booting?  If you can't boot with just CPU, RAM, and PSU then something is likely wrong with the motherboard.

Is there a motherboard or case speaker installed?  Do you hear any beeps during boot?  If not, try booting with no RAM installed.  You should hear beeps then.  If you don't, then either there's no speaker installed or the mobo is just dead.

Have you tried another monitor?

If all of this fails then you'll probably just have to buy a new motherboard.

Also, if you have a video card handy, you could plug it in and see if it works.

Checked.

Have you tried unplugging everything and booting?  If you can't boot with just CPU, RAM, and PSU then something is likely wrong with the motherboard.

Checked.

Is there a motherboard or case speaker installed?  Do you hear any beeps during boot?  If not, try booting with no RAM installed.  You should hear beeps then.  If you don't, then either there's no speaker installed or the mobo is just dead.

No speaker installed. I removed one of the RAM sticks and was a no-go.

Have you tried another monitor?

If all of this fails then you'll probably just have to buy a new motherboard.

Thanks Rajahal, me thinks it's just the mobo....  :-[