upgrade 5b4 to 5b6 -- all new drives? [SOLVED]

Hey guys,

Upgraded from 5b4 to 5b6 but 5b6 isn't able to start due to it thinking all my drives are expansion drives (they're not).  

Here is the setup from 5b4:

Here's what I see in 5b6:  

I deleted (renamed) the super.dat file in the config folder.  The last disk (sda) is correct despite having a different name -- 5b4 was truncating the last two characters '16' from the name.

That's the state it's supposed to be in.  Comparing the two screen shots, it looks like you re-assigned everything ok. When you click 'Start' it will write a correct super.dat file and start a parity-sync. You can let the parity sync finish, won't harm anything, or there's a way to start & indicate parity is valid, but I'd say just let the parity sync run.

Note: before Starting, do this: click on each disk link on the Main page and look at what it says for "Partition format".  If any of your disks say "error" or "unknown", don't click Start, instead post back here and tell me what it says.

they all say Partition Format: MBR unaligned (I would expect them to say that -- they're jumpered)

I thought the blue icon was for expansion and green was for good.

I've pushed start and they're all green except for parity (orange-red) and it says parity sync in progress.  I will let it complete.

they all say Partition Format: MBR unaligned (I would expect them to say that -- they're jumpered)

I thought the blue icon was for expansion and green was for good.

I've pushed start and they're all green except for parity (orange-red) and it says parity sync in progress.  I will let it complete.

That's good.  Everything is A-O-K with your system.  Blue means "new drive" or "previously unknown drive" is detected.  And when this happens when there's already an existing array, then yes it's treated as an Expansion.  But when it's a brand new server, or software thinks its a brand new server because there's no existing super.dat file, it just means all the drives are new.

Archived