Trayless 5 in 3 Drive Cage

Superorb

Right, but the Supermicro has trays.  The Norco SS-500 is the same price as the above and has great stock fans (also 92mm I think).  But it also has trays.  I haven't found a single good quality trayless 5-in-3, which is why I've stopped using them in my builds.

Price isn't that much better to make it worth dealing with tiny fans and poor rear panel design that would make it difficult to impossible to add a larger fan. The SuperMicro has 92mm fan and costs only $10 more.

Is the Supermicro a 5in3 trayless with standard sized fans?

The price is right. I've always though you could take a case with an externally vented PS fan (like the Coolermaster 590) and then pressurise the case with 2 or 3 decent 120mm fans instead of using the hotswap bay fans. If you force air into the case via 3 x 120mm fans and the only place it can exit is through the drive cages then the air will go out that way.

Of course, you could just stick the server somewhere you don't have to listen to it.

Peter

The price is right. I've always though you could take a case with an externally vented PS fan (like the Coolermaster 590) and then pressurise the case with 2 or 3 decent 120mm fans instead of using the hotswap bay fans. If you force air into the case via 3 x 120mm fans and the only place it can exit is through the drive cages then the air will go out that way.

Of course, you could just stick the server somewhere you don't have to listen to it.

Peter

I'd rather have the fans as exhaust and pull cool air over the drives instead of pushing warm air from the components. I don't know if this will work though, but I'd love to test it out if I can ever find an affordable case with 9+ 5.25" external bays.

What do you consider affordable?  There are a few in the $60 - $70 range.

The few I saw in that range didn't look right to me, and I've got crappy OCD to satisfy ;) Under $60 is what I'd like to pay, how much was the old CM590 case? I might just get a new case for my main PC and use the Antec 900 for a server.

Right, but the Supermicro has trays.  The Norco SS-500 is the same price as the above and has great stock fans (also 92mm I think).  But it also has trays.  I haven't found a single good quality trayless 5-in-3, which is why I've stopped using them in my builds.

The Norco SS-500 I just received from Newegg is the redesigned one.  It has an 80mm fan (not a 92), but that is still at least a fairly common size that can be made fairly quiet.  Haven't got the chance to put it in a case yet, but I took the rear cover off of it and it would be very easy to swap the fan w/ another unit if desired.

What do you consider affordable?  There are a few in the $60 - $70 range.

The few I saw in that range didn't look right to me, and I've got crappy OCD to satisfy ;) Under $60 is what I'd like to pay, how much was the old CM590 case? I might just get a new case for my main PC and use the Antec 900 for a server.

I believe the CM590 was around 50-60 bucks.  I saw that you posted a few times in the Aerocool VS-9 thread a week or so ago.  I have seen that case in person and it's actually pretty nice (a friend of mine has one - he's happy with it).  It seems to be very similar to the CM590 and last week Tiger Direct had it on sale for 39.99, but they sold out by the weekend. Newegg had it initially too, they now list it as 'Deactivated', so it's unclear if they will get them again.

As of now, it seems to be back in stock at TigerDirect for 49.99.  

Here's the link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6294369&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

What do you consider affordable?  There are a few in the $60 - $70 range.

Absolutely, use the Antec 900.  It is also perfect for this application.

The Norco SS-500 I just received from Newegg is the redesigned one.  It has an 80mm fan (not a 92), but that is still at least a fairly common size that can be made fairly quiet.  Haven't got the chance to put it in a case yet, but I took the rear cover off of it and it would be very easy to swap the fan w/ another unit if desired.

I think you are right, it is an 80mm.

Absolutely, use the Antec 900.  It is also perfect for this application.

I have a Tigerdirect store 20 minutes from me, maybe I'll take a trip out there this weekend and see what they have. I'd have to pay tax if I ordered online anyways. I'm so indecisive.

I'd rather have the fans as exhaust and pull cool air over the drives instead of pushing warm air from the components. I don't know if this will work though

I have already proven that, if I block up the apertures in my Thermaltake case which don't sport a fan, then the drive temperatures are reduced by a couple of degrees.  However, this is for drives in 3x3 and 1x1 mountings - one day I'll attempt to obtain 5in3 backplanes for it..

but I'd love to test it out if I can ever find an affordable case with 9+ 5.25" external bays.

The Thermaltake V5 is currently on offer at Newegg for $60 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133099, and its V6 cousin is $62.

To my mind the V5 is a great case, visually and functionally - the only thing which I might expect people to complain about is the visual aspect of the handle - however it does have a great functional benefit - it prevents you from obstructing the top fan vent by laying anything on top of the case!

Beware of noisy fans and potentially bad airflow.  I haven't tested those units specifically, but just looking at it leads me to those thoughts.  Best of luck.

+1

Two 50mm fans are either going to be A) jet engine loud, or B) completely insufficient, or C) both.