Resolved: Add (replace) existing Gig interfaces with 10g sfp+ interface

Let me start my question with a basic 'will it work' scenario, then I expect to have more questions...

Running Unraid 6.9.2 on a Dell T710 with 4 gig interfaces bonded as active-backup.  I also have a X520-DA2 10GB FH Network Adapter (2 ports) installed, currently in down state (fiber cables not connected yet).  Primary usage is Plex.

I have a Unifi US-24-500W switch with two unused 10g sfp+ ports I believe are normally used as uplinks to other switches/infrastructure.  Can I use these to connect from the Unraid server fiber interfaces to the switch sfp+ ports and serve all the other hosts on the switch?  My goal is to have the two 10g links between the Unraid server and the Unifi switch serve all my clients - and potentially do away with my four Unraid 1g links.  This is all on one private network at this point.

Thanks

Edited by mproberts
Resolved

Thank you.

Next question; when I have the sfp ports connected, what is the procedure to make active on Unraid?  Then disable the copper interfaces?  Eth0 is my primary interface currently with eth1, 2 and 3 as bonded (bond0) active-backup interfaces.  Eth4 is my dual fiber Nic.  While I can work in CLI, my concern is the order of the process so maybe I can do the changes from the web interface?

• Obtain connectivity to the switch via eth4
    • Use both fiber ports on card and switch ports?
  • Validate connectivity (how?)
  • Disable the bonded interface?
    • Or keep one as a failover?

Thanks again.

13 minutes ago, mproberts said:

Eth0 is my primary interface currently with eth1, 2 and 3 as bonded (bond0) active-backup interfaces.

That means you config. single Eth active with Unraid.

The easy way was keep eth0-3 not change, add eth4 to bond0 then disconnect eth0-3 and check does all work ( why this because no MAC address or config have change )

13 minutes ago, mproberts said:

Disable the bonded interface?

This depends on how availability you need, personally I won't do that because my switch have 4 10G port only.

Edited by Vr2Io
  • mproberts changed the title to Resolved: Add (replace) existing Gig interfaces with 10g sfp+ interface