Need help to find out if unraid is right for me

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry about that Peter. I guess I included it in this thread, due to earlier suggestions in the thread about the great benefit of unRAID is the ability to grow (I understand the growth benefits of adding hard drives - or replacing with bigger ones, etc. - as your needs increase) . I wasn't looking for configuration advice, only feedback on if it is a good/O.K. idea (price wise) to purchase (1) controller card at this moment (thereby saving ~$100.00)?

Another quick question, do all my hard drives have to be the exact same such as some raid systems require? Or can I have like 10 WD Greens and 10 Hitachi drives? Thanks for all the help so far.

Again, you've apparently missed reading about one of unRADI's strengths.  The disks can be a mixture of IDE, SATA, and can be a mix of any brands and/or sizes.  You can use disks you already have and upgrade one disk at a time. You can purchase disks as they go on sale, or reach a price-point you like, but only as you need.

To buy all the disks up front is a HUGE mistake.  To buy them all from the same manufacturing batch, an even bigger mistake.

My first two disks in my array were 500Gig IDE drives.  They were over $320 each...  They were the biggest available at the time. (nearly 6 years ago) If I had filled my array with them I'd really be sorry when today I can get a 2TB drive for $80.  My array grew with drives that were purchased on sale, as they got affordable.

Purchase only what you need NOW.  Not what you eventually will need.