Input on WD Red drives

I’m looking to add some more storage.  I have a bunch (15) of older 1TB WD drives along with 1 2tb and the 2tb parity. Specifically I’m looking at the Red WD60EFAX which is 6tb. At $150 and I know I’d have to get 2 but that way I could convert the older 2tb parity into data so would net 8tb.   My luck has been good with the WD but not sure how their latest stuff is good or not. 

I haven't used that particular model but have been a long time user of WD Red drives (I have some old-school Red 4TB's that have just started to age out after 7.5 years running (actual usage time, not just ownership) which I think is pretty damn good. I'm about to invest in some 10TB Red Pro drives for a new build also.

I'm not exactly sure what you're after in particular, but if it's general feedback on WD Red drives, I'm perfectly happy with the ones I've had and continue to use them.

But in a media server, at least in my case, it’s a one time write the vast majority of time.  I rip my DVD’s and plan to keep it on the server.  If after I watch it and say it’s a crap movie, I my delete it but that happens very seldom.  So will SMR really be an issue?  My thoughts are more along the thought of 5400 vs 7200 rpm. 

Edited by mickeykelley
16 hours ago, mickeykelley said:

So will SMR really be an issue?

It still can be, if you do large transfers it can take about 3 times longer than a non SMR drive.

16 hours ago, mickeykelley said:

My thoughts are more along the thought of 5400 vs 7200 rpm. 

That's males much less of a difference.