Intel GPU Plex Transcode one inside Ubuntu VM

Sorry guys; believe me - I did look and I'm clearly missing something.

CPU is i9  10900K

This is a VM setup and I want it to really stay a VM setup as when I buy a eGPU enclosure - I'm going across to a GTC1660S however for now - I'd like to work out whats going on.  So Docker is not a solution for me.  Any help as always is very appreciated.

Ok here's the problem:

image.png.6794f53d77122daa2f177707800a087a.png

Should say Transcode (hw)

Intel GPU Top shows:

image.thumb.png.75bc2c2114cccaa8474ab4a07b28289e.png

image.thumb.png.2df54b94da21847a4b884073fbc65207.png

The Plex and Kodi combination in UNRAID VM is:

image.thumb.png.36c0dfc5c1f8e7b245a4f48b791f02bf.png

Plex settings:

image.thumb.png.486c4b9b8a78287f6240575fd241311e.png

54 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

VNC has no hw acceleration, you need a gpu/igpu that supports it.

Even if you are passing through the cpu, you are not passing through the igpu.

Sorry you've confused me a little...

• gpu/igpu - I am using a 10900K which has igpu (UHD 630)?
Edited by SmokeyColes

Hi, what I understood is that you want hardware transcoding inside a vm.

To do this you need obviously the hardware inside the vm to be able to transcode.

Your cpu has a igpu, which should be able to do so, however when you passthrough your cpu (host passthrough) you are not passing through the igpu.

As far as the "graphic card" in the gui of the settings of the vm you selected "VNC", i.e. you connect to the vm through vnc (with the qxl driver); qxl video, which is an emulated card, is not able to perform any hardware transcoding.

You need to passthrough to the vm a dedicated pcie gpu (easy), with hardware transcoding capabilities, or the igpu (in some cases a lot less easy :) )

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1

Thank you - I see what I've done!  Yes instead of VNC, I need to select Intel UHD Graphics 630.

However I cant do that as UNRAID uses it at the moment.

So I have to accept no hw transcoding.

Seems like I need to get that egpu thunderbolt enclosure pretty swift for my GTX1660S 

Thank you for your help ghost82

image.png.715fefa2c9c23814d8c725d813c5a189.png

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, SmokeyColes said:

Seems like I need to get that egpu thunderbolt enclosure pretty swift for my GTX1660S 

I would check (if you can), that you won't have issues and unexpected "surprises" with the passthrough of the thunderbolt controller to the vm, because you will passthrough that controller to the vm, without passing through directly the GTX: when you passthrough a controller everything that it's connected to it will be seen only by the vm to which the controller is passed through.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

I would check (if you can), that you won't have issues and unexpected "surprises" with the passthrough of the thunderbolt controller to the vm, because you will passthrough that controller to the vm, without passing through directly the GTX: when you passthrough a controller everything that it's connected to it will be seen only by the vm to which the controller is passed through.

mmm maybe I was wrong sorry, I think you will connect the enclosure through usb and the thunderbolt is inside the enclosure (?); so you need to pass through only the usb.