General Pool Question

I am curious about the expandability and behaviour of pool devices (6.9.2).

My current setup is the following: 3x3TB HDD System and Metadata in RAID 1 and Data in RAID 5, as it was recommended by Spaceinvader in one of his videos about Pool devices. He recommends RAID 5 for it is fault tolerant within itself. I use it for TimeMachine backups as I have had issues with speed and io bog-downs on the main array.

My question is about what would happen in either of these scenarios: 1) One of the disks fails. Can I just swap it out and it will rebalance and recalculate appropriately? 2) I want to expand the size of the pool with a matching disk of equal size. Can I just add it to the pool and it should be automatically be added in an appropriate manner, or does it require moving all data and then setting up the pool device again?

Edited by GMAsterAU
spelling

Thanks JorgeB. I just added an another disk to the pool and nothing is happening. It was renamed automatically in sequence, but is not encrypted (does not have the lock symbol on the disk icon) and shows no io at all. Am I missing something or do I have to empty the pool and redefine it from scratch to expand it?

Data corruption is being detected on the pool, and because of that the balance aborted, run a scrub on the pool, if there are uncorrectable errors you need to delete/restore those files from backup, filenames will be identified in the syslog during the scrub, also see below for better pool monitoring for the future, since there are also read and writes errors in that device.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=700582

• Thanks 1