getting "Stale file handle" errors

I'm running Unraid 6.9.2 bare metal and it only stores my Plex media files (shared via NFS). I have Plex, etc. running in Docker containers in a Ubuntu Server VM on my ESXi physical server. The Unraid NFS share is mounted in the Ubuntu VM (/etc/fstab syntax below) then passed to the Docker containers via the volume feature. I'm constantly getting "Stale file handle" errors within the containers and the apps can not access the media files and folders. Restarting the VM fixes the problem momentarily (restarting the container by itself does NOT), but the error occurs again soon after. Why is this error occurring and how do I resolve it?

/etc/fstab file on Ubuntu Server VM (Docker host):

192.168.0.20:/mnt/user/medialibrary /mnt/medialibrary nfs auto,nofail,noatime,nolock,intr,tcp,actimeo=1800 0 0

P.S. - the NFS mount options in fstab were copied over from my old TrueNAS setup (the media files use to be on a TrueNAS server, Unraid replaced that server)

Edited by digity
39 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not a direct answer to your question, but would it not be easier to by-pass this issue by running the Plex docker container on your Unraid server as you could then map the media through directly without using any shares?

It's tidier for me to have my homelab modularized, keeping roles/functions separate. Taking down the whole network just to troubleshoot one issue got old very fast for me.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, phanb said:

I am starting to have this issue with the new unraid 6.10.0-rc1 release as my bare metal machine is constantly dropping the NFS share

anyone else experiencing difficulties with NFS shares in the rc1 release?

It's a known issue (not unique to 6.10) and the only solutions are:

- Disable hard links.

- Don't use cache on the share.

- Use SMB, and not NFS for remote shares.

It's a limitation of NFS and Unraid has no control over the issue.

• 3 weeks later...