6.8.3 case sentivive filenames in shares setting, question.

je82

Hello,

I am wondering why the detailed information regarding case sensitive filenames settings in the share section that was introduced in 6.8.3. tells me the following:

"A value of Forced lower is special: the case of all incoming client filenames, not just new filenames, will be set to lower-case. In other words, no matter what mixed case name is created on the Windows side, it will be stored and accessed in all lower-case. This ensures all Windows apps will properly find any file regardless of case, but case will not be preserved in folder listings. Note this setting should only be configured for new shares."

I've bolded the part that i wonder about, what will happen if i do this to a share that already previously existed? Why is it only recommended to do for new shares and not old ones?

Thanks!

nevermind, i understand now, only lower case files will be visible and if share already exists there are most likely files that are not all lower case.

yeah smb performance really sucks in 6.8.x and onward compared to 6.7.2 which seem to be the last version that had a smb protocol that didn't add seconds of delay between accessing a file :/

EDIT:

This setting fixed my smb speed issue in 6.8.3 and onward

(Default is yes, set to no to speed up smb directory listings) Not sure what i would be losing out on with this disabled, i don't use any hard links that i know of.

image.thumb.png.7d36dff3863add306b1d7421fbd5d646.png

Edited by je82