DeGoogle and DeApple with Unraid/poste or Unraid Mailu versus theHelmv2 for residential IP

eagle470

With the recent announcement from Apple, I'm moving off my iPhone, can't take pictures of my kids on day0, nor in the tub. SO screw it, I'm moving on.

It's how M$ and Facebook started their Orwellian creep into scanning your shit for everything they don't like.

Rant over.

That being said, I have an ubuntu VM up and running docker-compose. I've been learning all about self hosting email and from what I can see, doing it from a residential IP is stupid. I'm not buying a business line again, it's not needed for anything other than this and I would lose my symmetrical gigabit. 

I've been using apple photos to keep from losing my pictures, so I also need an alternative there, likely nextcloud.

That being said, I can TRY to run my own mail server on a residential IP. 

OR 

I can buy thehelm.com (v2). 

Essentially what they do is proxy the mail through their IP's using IPtables. If I could find someone that did this as a service for self hosted email, I would pay for that in a heartbeat. 

SO what are your thoughts, you see the options. All the comments on this reddit thread have me leaning towards thehelm.com product. Unless @limetech wants a new service to offer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted/comments/oo81ja/ive_conquered_selfhosted_email_and_you_can_too/

If I thought I was smart enough, I'd build the tool myself as a mail proxy server tunneling to my own stuff.