Trying to route containers through a VPN container - it works, but I can't get the WebUI running

I followed SpaceInvaders directions (very similar to other guides on the same subject).

I have binhex-sabnzbdvpn container running and working well.

I also have binhex-radarr and binhex-sonarr running and working fine.

I wanted to run the radarr and sonarr traffic through the VPN container.

So, I followed the directions - changed network on radarr and sonarr to none and put the --net=container:binhex-sabnzbdvpn in the extra parameters line. 

Then I added the sonarr and radarr ports as ports on binhex-sabnzbdvpn.

I restarted everything. It seems to work - when I curl my public IP from sonarr or radarr, it is from the VPN. So, traffic is being routed through the VPN container.

But, when I go to try to get to the WebGUI - unraid-ip:7878 or unraid-ip:8989, it does not work. It just hangs and won't connect.

I can see in the logs that the containers are working - pulling NZBs and passing them to binhex-sabnzbdvpn. 

But I can't get to the WebGUI.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OK - I added the Sonarr and Radarr ports to the VPN_INPUT_PORTS variable in binhex-sabnzbdvpn docker.

And now it works.

BUT - in the documentation, it has this warning, "configuring this incorrectly with the VPN provider assigned incoming port COULD result in IP leakage"

Is this something to worry about in this use case?

Thanks.

Edited by volcs0
  • volcs0 changed the title to Trying to route containers through a VPN container - it works, but I can't get the WebUI running

I'm having exactly the same issue. Both apps (sonarr and radar) are tunneled through the vpn as per console output, but wont connect on the webui. 

I have tried adding the ports as you suggested, but for me nothing. 

I'm Wondering if its something specific with the sab container, as he was using deluge. I may just try the openvpn container instead. 

When adding the ports in the sab variable, did you also delete them in sonarr and radar, or did you leave them in? 

*Sorted now, forgot to add the port in a new variable as well as add it to VPN_INPUT_PORTS.*

Edited by dabs
Fixed