Mover behavior with unprotected array?

BigFam

Hi, I'm transferring a large media library from a Windows box so I have temporarily disabled the parity. I'm also restructuring the cache pool setting (enabling encryption) so I need to move data off cache pools. After settings shares to 'Yes' I run the Mover but files remain on the cache pools. Is this expected behavior, i.e. will Mover leave files on cache pools if the array is not parity protected?

https://wiki.unraid.net/Cache_disk#Cache_settings

The Mover

The Mover is a utility that runs periodically to move files off the cache disk and onto parity-protected data disk(s). If Mover logging is enabled, the mover will record all its activity to the system log.

Edited by BigFam
  • BigFam changed the title to Mover behavior with unprotected array?

Why not keep posting in your previous thread about your mover issues :

Did you try what I proposed there ?

What are the result ?

You can share you diagnostics after a Move with logging enabled if you want help analyzing the output.

8 minutes ago, BigFam said:

will Mover leave files on cache pools if the array is not parity protected

It should move the file, if all other conditions are met.

You can also check this :

My thinking was to separate my actual issue with a general question about expected behavior. Still learning the forum culture...

In the end I took a risk and stopped everything and manually moved the files using MC. It was probably not a decision you should give as advise but I could not get Mover to move the files. Reformatted the cache pools using encrypted btfrs. Everything up and running and shares re-configured/reverted to use the cache. Only negative site effect so far is I had to reconfigure the Roon Server container.

Thanks for you advise @ChatNoir, I really like the excellent support in the unRAID forums.

Edited by BigFam