Need help validating my planned configuration for my move from a Debian server with Samba share to unRAID

IMTheNachoMan

Sorry for the verbosity but I want to make sure I clearly explain my situation.

I have a very simple setup and am moving to unRAID. I already have it installed. I just need some help validating my plan to make sure it makes sense and won't screw me later.

I have an Intel NUC with:

• 128 GB M.2 SSD
  • 2 TB SATA HDD

For the last few years I've been running Debian on the 128 GB SSD and my data on the 2 TB HDD.

• I run very few Docker containers (Plex, SABNzbd, Radarr, Sonarr, SyncThings, and Home Assistant). The containers app data was on the 128 GB SSD (under my home folder) with all of the data on the 2 TB.
  • I never had more than 10 GB used of the 128 GB SSD.
  • My movie/TV content is very small (10 GB at the most) because I download (movies I own on DVD or BluRay), watch, and then delete. Most of the data on the 2 TB are photos (from my wife's DSLR).
  • My 2 TB was exported as a Samba share for my various Windows machines to map for reading/writing.
  • I am not worried much about redundancy. I have a nightly job that backs up all of my photos (from the 2 TB) to BackBlaze B2 using https://rclone.org/. I don't care about the movies/TV. 

It's been working fine but I wanted something with less maintenance. With Debian I had to do regular updates and monitor for breaking changes -- not that difficult but annoying/tedious. 

I picked Unraid over FreeNAS cause I wanted to run containers. I have no need to run VMs in it.

So now I am trying to figure out how best to structure everything. This is my current thinking:

• Storage
    • 128 GB M.2 SSD
      • pool/cache
      • formatted as XFS (unless I should use brfs)
    • 2 TB SATA HDD
      • single disk array
      • formatted as XFS (right?)
  • Shares
    • movies and tv
      • cache pool = no -- SABNzbd will move files to here for Plex to read
      • disk = 2 TB HDD
    • downloads
      • cache pool = only -- SABNzbd will download to here and then move
    • data and photos
      • cache pool = yes -- so when I add new photos they are saved to the cache pool and then the mover will move them to the disk array
      • disk = 2 TB HDD
    • security camera
      • I have one security camera that records directly to my server (either FTP or NFS)
      • cache pool = yes -- so the video writes are fast
      • disk = 2 TB HDD
  • I am not changing any of my allocation methods since I only have 1/1 disk so it won't matter.

Does this all make sense? Anything I need to change? Anything I am missing?

P.S. How is unRAID supposed to be stylized? I see it done so many ways: Unraid, UNRAID, unRAID, UnRAID, etc...)

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Sounds like you have done your research. What you propose makes sense to me. The only thing I would add is that mover is intended for idle time and the default schedule runs it in the middle of the night. If you intend to write more than cache can hold, don't cache.

Thank you so much. I just needed one person who knows more than I to validate my thoughts. 

I will keep an eye on the mover schedule and adjust if needed. 

I will never write more than 5 GB in one hour so I'm covered there.

Thank you again!

2 hours ago, IMTheNachoMan said:

I will keep an eye on the mover schedule and adjust if needed. 

Making mover run more often is often not the solution. If you run mover while still writing new files that just creates competition for the same resources. It is impossible to move from fast cache to slow array as fast as you can write to cache.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

mover is intended for idle time

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Making mover run more often is often not the solution. If you run mover while still writing new files that just creates competition for the same resources. It is impossible to move from fast cache to slow array as fast as you can write to cache.

Yeah, my plan was to monitor when I am doing most of my writes and adjust the mover run time accordingly.