[Resolved] 500GB Cache Drive shows full with only 318GB

I'm pretty confused. A few days ago, I had an issue with a Plex docker filling my cache drive up with thumbnails/preview content. I deleted that data, and set Plex to not store that data, freeing up 172 GB of data.

I have a VM that utilizes about 160GB of storage space on the drive (which is included in the 318GB total). I've been using that VM to download some large files, and then transferring them via SMB to the actual share drive later.

Anyway, last night, the VM paused, and when I went to resume, I saw that the drive shows that it's 100% full, with 0bytes of available space, and 318GB in use. I rebooted the server, and it still shows that there's only 318GB of actual storage, even though it still lists the drive as a 500GB drive. (Screenshot and logfile attached).

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 9.22.38 AM.png

tower-syslog-20210915-1523.zip

Edited by wrenchmonkey
Resolved issue
1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Thank you! I am doing that now. I moved a VM image to the other cache drive temporarily to clear some space, since I was getting a 'disk full' error when trying to balance. It's running now.

Is this something that should be done routinely? If so, I will set it up in the user scripts to automatically perform this task. How often would you recommend running it?

12 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Usually not, but if there are many small files/blocks deleted regularly it can cause this, since only completely free chunks get removed automatically.

So, I assume a "small file" would be anything smaller than the "chunk" size, right? I did some reading and it seems chunk size would be 1GB for data, and 256MB for metadata. Is that correct?

• wrenchmonkey changed the title to [Resolved] 500GB Cache Drive shows full with only 318GB