Streaming problems running 4.6

I am running version 4.6 and I am trying to copy data to my server while streaming another movie which was recently written to the server.  I say that because they are both the place I am trying to write and the place I am trying to read is the same drive.  Anyway these drives are Seagate 5900 RPM green drives.  This is the first time I have noticed this problem.  Any suggestions as to what to look at would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Sorry about that! I am on some pain killers for a pulled muscle in my back so I am a bit loopy.

Anyway I am streaming to my SageTV extender and I can't seem to watch video while copying.  We are watching a movie and every time I attempt to copy the video freezes and becomes unwatchable....

Are the files being read and written on the same physical disk drive?  If so, it could just be that the drive is thrashing between the two and not keeping up very well.  This would be a good reason to install a cache drive to buffer writes separately from any concurrent read activity.

Syslog doesn't show any problems. Actually nothing written there for the past couple days (not sure if this is normal) I am looking at it in unmenu. 

Also I think the drive might not be able to keep up.  I don't know but I would assume better from these drives.  I am not using a cache drive.  I have a lot of data I need to copy and my current cache drive is way too small.  I was thinking of buying a WD Black drive and using it as a cache drive?

How do I get the Smart Report?

Thanks,

Neil

Any modern drive won't thrash with a single read concurrent with a single write. This is not normal performance.

Depends on the file sizes and data rates.  If streaming a multi-gigabyte file while writing others, then a degree of thrashing is inevitable.

Streaming a 22 gig file (HD version of a movie) and trying to copy a recording which is like 13 gigs? So they are big big files.

Large files are even less likely to cause thrashing. Assuming that the write is to contiguous free space and the read is from a contiguous space then the drive switches between only two locations. This should not cause thrashing.

Again nothing that indicates errors with Smart History.

I can copy a series of smaller files to the array without incident.  I did copy 152 megs of smaller files and windows (where i am copying from) showed the copy completed but then the video started to freeze.  I wonder if that is part of the parity check since it was after the actual copy?

Thanks,

Neil

That's weird, even if there is a bottleneck, the streaming should pick up when you've finished two way traffic.  Unless the client that you are streaming to doesn't like the interruptions and goes down a hole, so to speak, so that it can't then continue.  That wouldn't be unknown.  What is the client / player?

Archived