(SOLVED) help configuring VLANs and second NIC

my server has two NICs. until now I've only been using the one because I've just been running a basic Plex docker. lately I've been adding many more and am running into port forwarding and collision hell as my knowledge of networking is cursory at best. until now I've just been using the UI defaults when spinning up Dockers.

my goal is to configure one nic as the default unRAID connection and segregate dockers behind the second and manually assign static ips for them to avoid port conflicts. i would like the docker network to be the only one exposed to www. i also intend to utilize reverse proxy, SSO, and VPN to secure access to the docker network.

problem is I'm finding many different configuration tutorials on here as well as Reddit and YouTube that all seem to vary in method. they also assume a basic working knowledge of DHCP, VLAN, interface, etc. terminology and configuration, which i fall short of it seems.

can anyone ELI5 what steps need taken in what order, basic VLAN setup on the router level, and any other steps I'm messing up our misunderstanding, including examples? i can export a diagnostic.zip or screenshots if needed. i also have Visio if a visual diagram would suffice to simplify and visualize the topography needed to support this config? I'm also willing to go scorched earth if need be and do a fresh install of all dockers one by one of the a best practice order of setup that needs followed.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

ok I've been told elsewhere that the VLANs are probably unnecessary for my desired environment and that reverse proxy is enough.

that said i still need a better understanding\explainer of how to properly set up and configure the docker network. for example, when i set static IPs for dockers, gateways, dns, etc., what IPs need to match? what ip range should i use? ideally all traffic in this interface would be behind VPN also.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk