Installing cache drive

Could someone point me to the right information for installing a cache drive. I have added a 250gB Seagate as a cahe drive in my Pro array. The system sees it ago but when I try and copy to either the cache drive itself or the share that it is part of I get an accessed denied error. Take off the cache drive and all is well.

It was a spare drive that was formatted as ntfs. I am using V5.0b6 of unraid. Should I have done something to it first. I have seen references to a format button, but this must be in 4.7 as I can't find it in V5

Could someone point me to the right information for installing a cache drive. I have added a 250gB Seagate as a cahe drive in my Pro array. The system sees it ago but when I try and copy to either the cache drive itself or the share that it is part of I get an accessed denied error. Take off the cache drive and all is well.

It was a spare drive that was formatted as ntfs. I am using V5.0b6 of unraid. Should I have done something to it first. I have seen references to a format button, but this must be in 4.7 as I can't find it in V5

The NTFS driver in unRAID is a read-only driver.  The ability to use an NTFS file-system on the cache drive is partially implemented.  ( a read-only cache drive is useless )

You'll probably need to delete the NTFS partition and let unRAID partition and format the drive with reiserfs.

Easiest way to zero the MBR and let unRAID handle it is to un-assign it as the cache drive and then type

dd if=/dev/zero count=1 of=/dev/sdX

where /dev/sdX = the correct disk for your cache drive.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe

Now I can write to the disk. My next problem is that I thought that if I copied a file to my user share then if I accessed after the copy the cache disk directly then I should be able to see the file on it. But I can't. The file seems to be being written to the raid and bypassing the cache drive. Mover is set to move every two hours so shouldn't have got to it. (The copy speed was the same as before I implemented the cache drive)

Archived