Upgrading the Backplane and SAS Card

WETAFROMAN

Hello World,

Long time follower, first time poster... Excited to be here!

I have dabbled in the past with some smaller desktop builds but I am currently building my first large Unraid server build. It will have multiple VMs but primarily (1) windows VM for gaming and video editing and (1) Ubuntu VM for Plex Pihole and other security applications. Recently I was able to take an older Supermicro 4U 24-bay server home from the office. The original plan was to scrap the motherboard and processor for a newer one but recycle the SAS card and drive backplane.

That was until I found out the SAS card was an Adaptec 52445 which only supports SATA I / 3Gb/s. Ain't no body got time for those types of speeds in this modern society!!!

So my research for a replacement has led me to the Adaptec ASR 72405. Seems like I can find them used on ebay for like $129. I was going to pair that with a Supermicro BPN-SAS2-846EL2. Those are pricey on ebay at like $675.

So now the real questions. I am not apposed to paying the money for the SAS card and Backplane. But I am 100% a noob when it comes to server grade parts. Are these 2 parts even compatible with each other? Is this the most price effective way to utilize a 24-Bay server chassis that will be populated with SATAIII / 6Gb/s drives? If not what would you suggest?

Like I said new to this so I am sorry if I did not provide enough details. Let me know if you need to know more to provide recommendations!

On 10/24/2021 at 3:28 AM, JorgeB said:

We usually recommend LSI HBAs, see here for a list:

As for the backplane, if you can afford it's a good option.

JorgeB I appreciate the response. Looks like a 9305-24i is what I am looking for. Sadly that card is so much more expensive then Adaptec ASR 72405 that I was looking at before. Are there any post that discuss the issues with using a RAID card like that and just setting it to see each disk as JBOD? That was my initial idea.

Maybe I go with the 9305-24i and just not use a backplane. Loose hot swapping but that's not the end of the world.

Or maybe I get the backplane and start off smaller with like an 8 port LSI card. Not like I have the money to populate all 24 drive bays right at the start. I could upgrade the LSI card in a year or so when I am ready to add more drives then it supports.

What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, WETAFROMAN said:

Are there any post that discuss the issues with using a RAID card like that and just setting it to see each disk as JBOD?

I'm not familiar with that specific model but the usual problem for raid cards in JBOD mode is you'll to do a new config if you change controllers, also some create non standard partitions resulting in unmoutable disks if the controller is changed.

• Like 1