New NVME Gen 4 log filling up

acozad1

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I just upgrade my Unraid server to a new Gigabyte extreme z590 motherboard and an intel i9 11900k. I just put in the new xpg s70 1tb gen 4 nvme drive and it is getting errors and wanted to get some thoughts on this. I am currently running 6.10 rc1 unraid with 64gb of ram. My logs are at 100% and I am not sure if its the nvme drive or do I need to do something on the os part. I have attached my system logs to this post in hopes someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help and time on this.

extraordinary-syslog-20211024-2059.zip

Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: nvme 0000:03:00.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: nvme 0000:03:00.0:   device [1dbe:5236] error status/mask=00000001/0000e000
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: nvme 0000:03:00.0:    [ 0] RxErr                 
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: AER: Multiple Corrected error received: 0000:03:00.0
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Transmitter ID)
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:   device [8086:4c09] error status/mask=00001000/00002000
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:    [12] Timeout               
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:03:00.0
Oct 24 13:36:56 ExtraOrdinary kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: AER: Multiple Corrected error received: 0000:03:00.0

So these are hardware errors being reported by the PCIe bus.

It's indicating that the data from the drive is corrupted but able to be corrected (probably by CRC or similar hardware error correction).
So it's time to do some basic trouble shooting.

Start by making sure the NVME pins and slot are clean. Remove and reseat the drive carefully. Consider a gentle clean with a cotton bud and isopropyl alcohol.

See if the errors remain.

Try moving the drive to a different M.2 slot and see if the errors follow the drive.

Try a different NVME drive in the same slot.

Process of elimination should allow you to work out if the M.2 slot or the NVME drive are at fault.

Edited by cat2devnull

Good Morning,

So I will defiantly try cleaning the drive and putting it back in. Since my post I put an old gen 3 ssd into the same slot and it worked perfectly. I am using a intel i9 11900k and to us the gen 4 ssd it will need to be in that slot. I will try the cleaning and put it back into the system and let you know what happens. I am thinking it may be a compatibility issue from the ssd. I was going to return it and purchase a different manufacturer. But I will try cleaning and installing it first. 

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Unless you bought a no name SSD off AliExpress or Wish.com it should work fine with respects to PCIe compatibility.

Is the drive from Samsong? or SeeGate? 😆

The Gen3 drive might work fine just because it is clocked at half the speed so not triggering the issue. Gen4 electrical tolerances are really tight.

If you put the Gen4 drive back and it starts erroring again it would be worth using the motherboard bios to lock that M.2 slot to Gen3 and see if the issues go away.
Also try moving the Gen4 drive to one of the other Gen3 ports and see how it goes.

Edited by cat2devnull

Hello,

it was a Adata XPG S70 ssd. I have returned it and purchased a new T-Force Carder gen4 ssd and will give this one a shot. I’m hoping it will have a better comparability chance with my board. I will definitely look at your suggestions of looking in the bios to try switching the gen4 to gen3 if this has the same issue with filling up my logs. 

Thank you for the help. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just wanted to post an update. I have installed the T-Force ssd into my unraid server and it has been working great for me. I have installed it into the system and everything has returned to normal. No more log errors are showing up. Not sure if it was my particle problem with motherboard compatibility. Just wanted to share if someone else has the same issue. 

I am running the Intel i9 11900k with a Gigabyte Aorus Z590 extreme motherboard with the latest bios update. The middle m.2 slot is the gen 4 slot and the top and bottom are the gen 3 slots. Hope this helps.

Take care and thank you all for your help on this.

Edited by acozad1
  • Like 1