random server lockups

RGauld
Go to solution Solved by RGauld,

If it's a hardware problem not much you can do other than changing it, one thing you can try it to boot the server in safe mode with all docker/VMs disable, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's more likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm at a loss....  a previous post here mentioned that marvell based controllers are not recommended, hence replacing it with the Asmedia ASM1166 controller.

"There are a few port multiplier related errors but there's nothing crash relevant logged, this usually indicates a hardware problem."

any other suggestions then? is there anything in the logs?

Just now, RGauld said:

but there's nothing crash relevant logged

By this I meant the controller was not recommended but not the reason for the lockups, but like mentioned still a good idea to replace it, hardware related lockups are most often caused by PSU, board, RAM, unfortunately no easy way to diagnose other than start swapping some parts around.

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please look at this and tell me why my P.O.S. server is randomly locking up? I'm sick and tired of having to reboot it 4 or 5 times in one day, and then it'll run fine for the next 3-4 days, then it'll randomly lock up again...  I've tried everything! new SATA controllers, new memory, new cabling...  I'm at my wits end!

rg-server-diagnostics-20211228-0734.zip syslog.log

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity, does anyone else have experience with this?

I'm in exactly the same boat here. My logs show nothing and I have scoured the forums looking for solutions.

The array stops after a period of time when the drives are in use. that period of time is essentially random. It could be an hour, It could be a minute. I have swapped my PSU, flash drive, Mobo, Processor, ram, cables and even the one drive with the most errors but it still kills the array mid rebuild. The only thing I haven't swapped out is the HBA and tbh i'm out of cash thanks to effctively buying 2 servers worth of equipment trying to fix this thing. It was solid for about a year before this happened.

Before I take out a loan to buy some drives and build a whole new NAS running a different OS I want to try fix this thing. Any help at all would be welcome.