Wonder if we're both trying to do the same thing.  I went through this yesterday (just got my box set up for testing with a 500g sata for parity and some 160g as temporary drives).  The closest I gotten is a response from the AVS forum to use;

shutdown -h now

It shuts the system down as far as the filesystem but leaves it powered up.  It kind of works for me.  I just wait until the USB Key led goes off and then hit the power button. On the stacker.  I wanted to be able to power it down completely from a telnet session but that's as far as I've gotten.  Reason...

I've got 4 Windows 200X servers and now the UnRaid server in a location what is not that easy to get to.... Need a ladder to get to them, so I do almost all administration using UltraVnc or RemoteDesktop.  The Windows servers are hooked up to an 8port KVM but again, too inaccessible to be practical.  The UnRaid box is booting and running without a KVM or being hooked up to the 8port KVM.

I haven't given up on the total 'PowerDown' and will post if I get a solution.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do as well.

What you described as well as my experinece sounds very similar to early versions of Windows which couldn't interact with the ACPI standard.  I'm wondering if Linux doesn't have the ability to interact and work with the ACPI hardware standard.

Of course powering up if/when we learn how to power down will be the next challenge.  Right now my home automation system has contact closure I use to 'push' the power button on my PC's.  Otherwise we have to wait for wake on LAN or wake on PING.

This is not an UnRaid issue, but a Linux Kernel issue.  It must be compiled with ACPI support built in, or (I think) you can load a "module" for it. 

I don't think our UnRaid kernel has ACPI support compiled in, and I don't think the ACPI module is on the flash drive for us to load using the "modprobe" command.

Oh yes, the motherboard BIOS has to be configured to respond to the ACPI commands. (I'm not sure how it was set by Tom when he configured my server, and I've never looked a those settings in my BIOS)

If we can get a compatible ACPI module, and add it using "modprobe", then the "powerdown" command should shut everything off after doing an orderly shutdown.  (My best guess... I've not tried this, yet...)

Oh yes, in /etc/rc.d (I think) in one of the startup files there is a line that loads the ACPI module.  Since we can't easily change that line (it is part of the compressed image on the flash drive), we would simply add a line to load the module to the end of the "go" script on the flash drive that we can edit.

Joe L.

I also did a bit more research.

On the unRaid flash are programs "apm" and "apmd"  These two programs are used for power management if it has been enabled/compiled into the Linux kernel.

apm was the predecessor to APCI.  If you invoke the "apm" command it prints the following:

Tower login: root

Linux 2.4.31.

root@Tower:~# apm

No APM support in kernel

root@Tower:~#

Looks like Tom did not compile APM support into the Linux kernel we have on our unRaid servers... but he did include the support utilities ???  From what I read, the apm command uses /proc/apm and that only exists if apm was compiled in.

Perhaps Tom can add that in a future release.  Tom?  Many of us would love this feature.  It would allow us to also have the server gracefully shutdown when a UPS signals it that its batteries are near depletion in the event of a elongated power failure.

Joe L.

• 3 weeks later...