First home server - Suggestions much appreciated

Hundekiks

Hi!

I'm on the verge of buying a used computer, to use as a home server/game server host. The one I'm eyeing is:

• Asus P9X79 Pro
  • I7-3930K
  • 64GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz
  • 128GB Samsung SSD
  • Nvidia P2000
  • Cooler master Silencio 550
  • Cooler Master 500w PSU

The person selling it wants around $600 for it. Is it worth it? Or am I better off buying new parts, and building a server myself?

The server would mainly be used as a NAS, Plex server and hosting game servers such as ARK/Minecraft/Valheim.

I would love to get some suggestions as to what components would need an upgrade in order to get a good stable server. I was thinking of changing the MB as it only supports two HDDs as far as I can see?

I'm also planning on buying a few extra HDDs for it, just need to figure out which I'll go for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated :))

As this is the first time I'll be running Unraid, I would love to hear any tips to keep in mind as I get everything set up!

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, doesntaffect said:

I'd say you get better hardware for 600 USD, although this can be a starting platform for you. Do you need the P2000 for anything specific? How much storage will you need? Do you plan to use VMs / passthrough hardware to VMs?

I was thinking of using the P2000 for hardware accelerated transcoding for 4k streams with plex/jellyfin (although I will admit, I'm not sure if this is overkill?). I'll most likely only need 2/3 concurrent 4k streams. I think my current storage needs are around 8-12TB. VMs aren't really my main focus to begin with, however I will probably use 1 or 2 VMs for playing around.

Edited by Hundekiks