Rebuilding Server, general questions

I am in the process of a major system overhaul and wanted to get some best practices.

My array will be moved over to the new hardware as it stands, so beyond potentially seeing some v3.3 issues with the shucked drives, I don't have any questions surrounding that (plan to have array off on first boot to make sure drives all load).

CACHE Question:

My cache is moving from an SSD to a new NVMe drive. Can I just backup my SSD to the array to bring that online or should i bring everything online with the old SSD first?

USB Stick:

Should I bring everything online with the old USB stick, or can I do the transfer to a new stick at the same time? My old server doesn't support USB3.0 so I can't do it first unfortunately, but my old stick is 12 years old, so its time haha.

Any other gotcha's I should know about? I have done a mobo/cpu swap before without issue, but this is the first time I am changing my SATA cards out to HBA cards and doing a lot more, so I am just trying to cover all my bases and not wipe my array haha.

19 minutes ago, wickedathletes said:

backup my SSD to the array to bring that online

yes. Be sure to go to Settings - Docker and disable, same for VM Manager. Don't enable them until new cache installed and working.

21 minutes ago, wickedathletes said:

Should I bring everything online with the old USB stick, or can I do the transfer to a new stick at the same time? My old server doesn't support USB3.0 so I can't do it first unfortunately, but my old stick is 12 years old, so its time haha.

If the old stick is working why do a license transfer? And USB2 is preferred for boot flash so your old server was doing it right.

22 minutes ago, wickedathletes said:

other gotcha's

If you do passthru for any VMs that will need to be dealt with on the new hardware.

23 minutes ago, wickedathletes said:

changing my SATA cards out to HBA cards

If it recognizes the disks and they are assigned correctly you should be good.

2 hours ago, wickedathletes said:

Mainly because its bent. Its taken some abuse in the last 12 years, I'd rather just replace it with something new.

Before you commit to transferring a license to a new stick, I'd verify the stick runs correctly by using a test installation with a trial license on the stick with the new hardware.

• Like 1