I'm trying to upgrade the drives in my Unraid, but...

Bo_

I'm trying to upgrade the drives in my Unraid, but the thing is, my current configuration is as follows:
The Unraid machine is currently using 4 x 3TB drives and it's quite full. I also have three other 8TB drives on a different machine, and they are full as well.

Now, my idea for upgrading goes like this:
I get a new, empty 8TB (let's call it D) drive and setup an unlicensed Unraid installation. I empty the data on the first full 8TB (A) to D and add A to the array. Repeat the process for B and C, and finally, I move the data from the old installation to the new machine and lastly, I move the license as well.

What's your take? Would this work? Any better ideas?

Thanks!
Bo

• 1 month later...

Hey! Thanks for answering and sorry for taking so long to reply, apparently I did not have my notifications enabled.

Yeah, currently there are 3 data drives  and one for parity, all 3TB drives.
The current plan is to get two more 8TB drives and this will solve most of the issues with moving the data around, so I'll end up with 5 x 8TB drives, hence 4 data drives and one for parity, so I could lose any one drive without incurring data loss. 

Now, as far as future upgrades go, (upgrading the license too) would adding a second parity drive allow me to lose two drives and not incur data loss? And if so, would a 10 data drives + 2 parity drives be a good configuration?

Note: all 8TB drives are IronWolf and they are covered by the 5-year Data Recovery Rescue Plan, so there is an extra layer of protection against data loss