UnRAID 6.9.2 Failed Disk Replacement Failed During Sync

mmhnto

Configuration:

Supermicro SSG-6047R

UnRAID 6.9.2

Single Parity 10 TB

Mix of 10 TB, 6 TB, and 4 TB drives in array

Yesterday UnRAID marked an older 4TB drive in my array as failed. I did not have a precleared replacement ready so I went to Microcenter and bought a new Seagate IronWolf 10 TB as a replacement. Normally I always run preclear on a new disk before adding it to the array, but since the 4 TB had already failed, I figured the easiest thing was just to replace it in the array and run a resync.

Unfortunately, about 10% into the resync, the new 10 TB drive has now failed. It was in a different hardware slot than the 4 TB failed drive, so I don't suspect a server hardware issue.

My concern is that the failed replacement drive is showing as emulated and the file system appears to be intact, however UnRAID is showing the capacity as 10 TB instead of the expected original 4 TB. If I replace this drive with another new 10 TB (which I will preclear in advance), will the resync cause problems with data on the other drives once the resync moves past the original 4 TB since the first 10 TB resync failed.

Diagnostics are attached.

The failed 4TB drive is: HGST_HDS724040ALE640_PK2331PAJ3W0AT

The new failed 10 TB is: ST10000VN0008-2PJ103_ZLW2ASPE

Any advice on next steps would be much appreciated.

Chris

enkidu-diagnostics-20211209-0449.zip

11 minutes ago, mmhnto said:

however UnRAID is showing the capacity as 10 TB instead of the expected original 4 TB

That's normal since the rebuild started with the new disk and filesystem was expanded, you now need to use another 10TB (or larger) drive as replacement, other than that there's no problem unless another disk fails, and with so many disks I would recommend dual parity.

• Like 1