Failed Parity drive showing as missing

kbrutlag

UNRAID masterminds....

So I had my single 8TB parity drive fail and all I had to replace it quickly is a 4TB drive.  No problem I thought since all the data drives are 4TB - oh, but wait, UNRAID won't let me because it says the 8TB drive is missing and the 4TB drive is not the largest in the system because of it.

How do I go about telling UNRAID to forget about the 8TB drive so I can get the 4TB as the parity drive?

Thanks

That looks a little scary - like it'll remove all the existing data is what it sounds like, especially the 'you have been warned' part.  Seriously though, the only way to tell the system to remove a bad/missing drive is to start a new config?  Like most, I have a TON of data I don't want to loose, granted the VERY important stuff is backed up but the other TBs of data is still important.

All New Config does is reset your disk assignments, and optionally (by default) rebuild parity. All disks will be kept just as they are, except any disk assigned to any parity slot will have parity built. Building parity reads all the data disks, calculates parity, and writes the result to the parity disk. No disks except those assigned to parity slots are changed in any way.

The warning is to keep you from resetting your disk assignments when you are in a situation where you need to rebuild a data disk. When you reset the disk assignments, Unraid forgets that any data disk needs to be rebuilt.

I have reset the configuration and am still unable to assign any new 4TB drive I have (6 others all same MFG and type as array) as a new parity drive, Unraid still reports them all as 'Parity slot not biggest'. I've attached each drive to a different computer and deleted the 1 partition they each had and I'm still getting the same message.  Is there a way to find out why?

Thanks for all your assistance.