Upgrading Disk Controler SATA to SAS

gumby327

I have half my drives working off the mother board sockets and half working off a add on disk controller and all are currently SATA.  I ordered a LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i controller with SFF-8643 cables.  If I were on a pure Windows OS I would change them out without blinking.  Is there anything I need to be aware of with Unraid?

My update of what happened.  I pulled a fist full of SATA cables out of the box and a SATA controller.  I put in a SAS controller and two simple wire bundles.  I booted it up and ....

no change ... other than it is twice as fast as it was.  unRAID did not even care about the change.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi @gumby327

Hope you are well. Sorry to bring up an older post but I am about to do something very similar to you and had a query, if you dont mind. 

Moving 4 SATA (1 parity 3 storage) from an old HP Gen 8 microserver to new build of my own but new build will have a HBA card. (like yours)

Did you just take the old drives and plug them into the new HBA card and that was that?  Unraid just booted up and carried on? 

Did you have a cache drive as well that you brought across? 

thanks in advance