USB drive and networking

Hi folks.  I just wanted to share a post on my problems getting UNRAID running.

I'm upgrading my hardware and moving from FreeNAS.  My FreeNAS was running on 2 (mirrored) Kingston Digital 8GB DataTraveler Micro USB 2.0 (DTMCK/8 GB).  I replaced my existing drives with 3 X 8TB WD's, and (while awaiting my delayed MB) set about installing UNRAID on one of those 8GB DataTravelers.

I got UNRAID to boot, but it wouldn't pick up an IP.  I re-created the drive with the UNRAID USB Creator, this time specifying the (static) IP info from my FreeNAS setup.  Same thing.  Boots up no network connectivity.  Oh, BTW - I logged in, opened a terminal, and IFCONFIG only listed a BR and the loopback devices (every time).  So, repeated the process selecting UEFI setting in the Creator.  Same thing.  Tried manual method of creating the boot drive.  Same thing.

I tried putting the 2nd DataTraveler in, and FreeNAS booted up with and IP.

I disconnected the cable from my router overnight, thinking maybe it was locking the port (even though it's the same NIC/MAC from the FreeNAS.  Same thing.  Oh, I forgot to mention, I could connect to the MB via IPMI.  Even so, I tried another cable.  Same thing.

In researching, I found one person that had a similar problem, and it was resolved with a different USB drive.  If UNRAID boots, how could the USB have anything to do with network problems?  Well, I tried everything else, so I pulled out a SanDisk and fired up the creator.  Never completed.  Stalled at Syncing OS.  Tried again, same thing.  Tried the manual method to build the install drive.  Botted up and … IT WORKED!  WTF?

I powered down and copied all the files from the San Disk to the Kingston, ran the make bootable script, and tried to boot up from that.  No IP!

So, why does the USB drive matter for networking?  Is this a known issue?  Is there a list of drives that do and don't work? I found threads of drives that won't boot, but not with this networking problem.

I'd like to buy 1 or 2 of these SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-016G-G46. Can anyone tell me if they'll work?

Those mini flash drives aren't particularly recommended primarily because they tend to run (very) hot, and heat is something which doesn't play well with any electronics.

YMMV

Personally, I have never had any problem with any flash drive (USB2 or USB3) I've ever thrown at Unraid (even generic ones), but I'd never purchase a mini one for any reason.  If only because I'd probably lose it just after opening the package.

If space is a major consideration, then https://www.amazon.ca/SinLoon-Female-Motherboard-Header-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0878S6BD5/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=internal+usb+adapter&qid=1639353920&sr=8-28 works wonders.

19 minutes ago, Squid said:

Those mini flash drives aren't particularly recommended primarily because they tend to run (very) hot, and heat is something which doesn't play well with any electronics.

YMMV

Personally, I have never had any problem with any flash drive (USB2 or USB3) I've ever thrown at Unraid (even generic ones), but I'd never purchase a mini one for any reason.  If only because I'd probably lose it just after opening the package.

If space is a major consideration, then https://www.amazon.ca/SinLoon-Female-Motherboard-Header-Adapter-Dual/dp/B0878S6BD5/ref=sr_1_28?keywords=internal+usb+adapter&qid=1639353920&sr=8-28 works wonders.

Hmm... Those Kingston's have been running pretty much 24/7 for nearly 7 years in my FreeNAS rig.  Maybe I wouldn't be so lucky this time, though. 

That's a pretty clever device.  I didn't know they made those.  I could probably get by with a regular size.  It wouldn't stick out much more than the power cable.  I guess I just like the neat look of the nearly flush mount ones. (Even though I never see it, lol!)

2 hours ago, Cybernaut said:

I powered down and copied all the files from the San Disk to the Kingston, ran the make bootable script, and tried to boot up from that.  No IP!

Weird, but I haven't Kingston USB.

2 hours ago, Cybernaut said:

I'd like to buy 1 or 2 of these SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive - SDCZ430-016G-G46. Can anyone tell me if they'll work?

Body make by plastic, easy broken.

I use Sandisk Cruzer Fit, housing were metal.

31enC2QjVYL._AC_.jpg