Unmountable disk - filesystem repair does nothing

hinton

Hey there,

I just switched to a new machine, shucked one of the drives that was previously in an external USB enclosure, added it internally in the new case, and found that the UUID had changed from doing so, disallowing me from starting my array. So, I went to Tools -> New Config, reset my config, re-added the disk afterwards, and found that the disk is showing FS auto (rather than XFS), and Unmountable. So, I ran the xfs_repair tool via Unraid console on the disk, which appeared to show no errors or issues at all, really. And, when mounted as an Unassigned Device, all my files are still there.

What gives? From the past two hours of reading I've been doing, the xfs_repair should be the ticket. But, nothing changes.

I just added a bunch of new drives to the array as well (this issue was occurring before adding the new drives to the array, they were sitting in Unassigned Devices when I first tried New Config, etc.) so I'm debating just copying everything over from the drive to another one, but I'd much rather just get this working, instead.

Edited by hinton

Diagnostics are attached. I'm not sure what details you want about the disk in question.

It is Disk 4, an 8Tb WD drive shucked from an EasyStore case. WDC WD80EMAZ-00W as seen in lsscsi.txt

Unraid shows it's XFS partitioned, lets me mount, and explore files, when it's in Unassigned Devices, but bring it into the Array and nope, "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout"

prodesk-diagnostics-20211220-0701.zip

Edited by hinton
26 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This means the partition is not valid for Unraid, post the output of:

fdisk -l /dev/sdj

Thank you for the help!

root@Prodesk:~# fdisk -l /dev/sdj
The backup GPT table is not on the end of the device.
Disk /dev/sdj: 7.28 TiB, 8001563222016 bytes, 15628053168 sectors
Disk model: WDC WD80EMAZ-00W
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 8AC5ECEF-6945-4CFD-8CF1-3408CD26491B

Device     Start         End     Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdj1     64 15628052446 15628052383  7.3T Linux filesystem
Edited by hinton

Partition is not damaged, so likely it's missing the correct Unraid signature, easiest option to solve this, assuming parity is valid, is to rebuild the disk on top, Unraid will recreate the partition, to test you can unassign the disk and start the array, the emulated disk should mount, if yes and contents look correct rebuild on top by re-assigning the old disk.

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Partition is not damaged, so likely it's missing the correct Unraid signature, easiest option to solve this, assuming parity is valid, is to rebuild the disk on top, Unraid will recreate the partition, to test you can unassign the disk and start the array, the emulated disk should mount, if yes and contents look correct rebuild on top by re-assigning the old disk.

Rebuilding is only possible with parity, though, yes? I don't actually have parity right now, and was only just going to add it now that I have more drives.

Considering that this disk in question is my largest disk and will become the parity drive, is my best bet then to manually copy the files over from the disk into the array, and then reformat for use as parity?

Assuming I'm understanding rebuilding as a parity-only option correctly...