[SOLVED] Brand new build, unRaid not starting without graphic card

Yarok
Go to solution Solved by SimonF,

Hi everybody!

Last week i ran into some serious issues (well, seriously annoying for sure) with my server (constantly rebooting without even POSTing).

After several attempts at troubleshooting for hardware issues and pressed by time to regain access to my work documents, i took the fast option and got a new motherboard, cpu and RAM. These are the following : 

MSI B560M-A PRO

Intel Core i5-10400, 2,9 GHz

G.Skill 2x4 GB DDR4-2400

And i'm currently running unRAID 6.9.2

My problem is the following : unless there's a graphics card plugged in the PCIe, the server won't boot to unRAID and instead stays on the BIOS screen. 

When the graphics card is present, unRaid boots correctly but the screen stays blank, and i can't see the invite screen where i can choose between unRAID OS, GUI, Safe mode etc. 

Both the motherboard and CPU have intergrated graphics, so i don't understand why a graphics card woud be mandatory for the server to run.

Where do i start to fix this? Thanks for your help!

Edited by Yarok

YES, that did it! Thanks a lot SimonF 🙂!!

The renaming of the folder from EFI- to EFI was the ticket. I suspect switching from CSM back to UEFI was automatic, because i spotted a message mentioning no VBIOS support right before the server rebooted.

Would you please explain why removing the hyphen "-" from the folder name resolved the issue, and how/why the hyphen appeared at some point in the first place?

Edited by Yarok
  • Yarok changed the title to [SOLVED] Brand new build, unRaid not starting without graphic card
26 minutes ago, Yarok said:

YES, that did it! Thanks a lot SimonF 🙂!!

The renaming of the folder from EFI- to EFI was the ticket. I suspect switching from CSM back to UEFI was automatic, because i spotted a message mentioning no VBIOS support right before the server rebooted.

Would you please explain why removing the hyphen "-" from the folder name resolved the issue, and how/why the hyphen appeared at some point in the first place?

Unraid is shipped that way. It is from the days when UEFI was less common. If you use the USB Creater then use the checkbox to enable UEFI, these days I think it should be EFI as a default.

EFI boot process looks for the EFI directory, having as EFI- meant it wouldnt be used.

Edited by SimonF