Cannot start array after drive replacement?

jjevans1

Hello All,

I removed an old drive that had write errors and replaced a new HDD using this process:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Replacing_a_Data_Drive

When I bring up UNRAID I cannot start the array because it thinks the disk is missing. Unraid is cacheing the old drive. When I point Disk 16 to the new drive it just says Wrong.

I cannot start the array due to Error: Too many wrong or missing disks!

If I replace the old drive again I can start the array but Disk 16 is unmountable for some reason hence the replacement.

Any insight as to how I can resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am so worried about blowing up my array after all the time and effort over the years I have put into this NAS….uggg

Hi Jorge, Disk 2 is just unassigned. I was going to add another disk later to fill that slot. I tired to use a 4TB / 6TB / 8TB drives and it would not allow me saying it needed a same or larger drive. Can you tell me where to look to see what size drive was used in that slot in the diag?

Thank you for your insight it is greatly apprecaited.

3 minutes ago, jjevans1 said:

is just unassigned.

Yes, but since the array was started without it it's now disabled.

4 minutes ago, jjevans1 said:

Can you tell me where to look to see what size drive was used in that slot in the diag?

It was 10TB, so you need a 10TB or larger, problem is that there will likely be some read errors during the rebuild because of the other failing disk, this in turn will cause some corruption when that one is replaced later.