VM Hosting with large Vdisk

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello all, i need to host a VM that will have a large vdisk (1tb) i have a unraid server that is composed of a mix of 1tb and 500gb hard drives. will this work with how unraid manages the storage on all the drives using high water? for now the vdisk has almost no size since it is empty but it will grow to size. what will happen if the vdisk reaches 1tb. will unraid split the vdisk in multiple files? or will it just grow until filling the entire disk if it has been put on one of the smaller disks when i chose auto location when creating the vdisk.  should i invest in bigger drives larger then the vdisk?

many thanks for any clarification. 

Happy new year to all

• Solution

Unraid does not split files across drives, so you need to make sure a disk has enough space to contain the vdisk when it grows to its maximum size.   If there is not enough space then the VM will stop working when the drive runs out of free space.

another possibility is to bypass this problem by passing a complete physical drive to a VM.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...