Cache & Mover Issues

Hi,

I give up and need to ask for help :)

And it is probably gonna take a few tries to explain my problems.

I have setup a cache pool on a nvme where I want all my downloads to land.

I use Internet Download Manager & Jdownloader primarily to download and have set the download directory in these programs to the share that is mapped with a drive litter in windows 10.

"downloads" cache drive mapped to A:

"array" NAS mapped to X:

Docker & VM disabled in Unraid.

The downloading goes fine onto the cache.

Using the mover does nothing - the files just stay on the mapped drive a: and I cant see them on the mapped array drive x:

Clicking compute all in "Shares" shows Cache_ssd for isos,appdata etc. but NOT for the downloads share - it shows 2 disks from the array.

Settings for the "downloads" share are

Use Cache Pool - YES

rest is untouced

Im starting to wonder if what I want to do is even possible - maybe its only possible to download to cache by using an app inside Unraid and not like I do from external sources onto a mapped drive in windows 10?

58 minutes ago, Mystikk said:

The downloading goes fine onto the cache.

Using the mover does nothing - the files just stay on the mapped drive a: and I cant see them on the mapped array drive x:

The files within downloads do not currently exist on the cache drive.  They exist on disk9

Your drive "a" will always show the files within that share.  And the share is use Cache: yes so mover does it's just and moves the files from the cache drive to the array whenever it runs.

Use Cache Yes does the above.  If you want the files to stay on the cache drive, then you're either going to use either "Prefer" (tries to put onto cache drive, if there isn't space then it puts onto the array and mover will move them later) or "Only" -> new files will get written to the cache and mover does nothing.

@trurl the "array" share I mapped to drive X: is called Server_1 & yes the share named "downloads" is mapped in windows to drive letter a so that I can see it in file explorer.

@Squid what is bothering me is the fact that I keep seeing the files on my drive a: in windows but not on the mapped drive for the array which i set to x:

And yes I see the files exist on disk9 or other disks on the array so the files ARE moved - I just cant figure out how to not keep seeing them on the mapped a: after they are moved to the array.

Maybe it will be better to use cache for my Server_1 share which is my storage NAS - mapped to drive x: in Windows.

Setting that share to use cache_ssd yes should download the files to the nvme and mover should move them later - and they would still show on the x: drive.

Maybe i misunderstand and have setup 2 shares where 1 is enough to download to a cache and move to the array - I have assumed it should be 2 shares with 2 drive letters

mapped in windows.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, Mystikk said:

setup 2 shares where 1 is enough to download to a cache and move to the array

For your example, you just need one share, and let Unraid handle everything else. If the share is cache-yes, then new files will be written to cache and later moved to the array. Whichever disk they are on, they will be seen in that one share.

But, I recommend having different shares for different purposes. That allows you to have greater control over how each share uses cache and other disks, how they can be accessed, and other things.