[unraid 6.9.2] How the Array works

Hello,

I am sorry if the subject has already been discussed, but I didn't find.

I want to know how works the Array because it is not clear for me.

I have a configuration with 4 disks 4 To + 1 cache ssd 250 Go

In my other NAS (Qnap) I have a raid 5, in this mode the data are distributed on the disks.

On unraid I have a Parity disk and 3 disks, and that I realized is only my first disk is filled (for now) and I have as much as write on this disk like the Parity disk.

That I want to know is that is a normal or I do a mistake in my configuration ?

And if I lose my Parity disk I lose all my data ?

I read that I can do a raid5 if I put my disk on the Pool, but I don't know if it is the right solution ?

Sorry I am not an expert I want to be sure I didn't make a mistake in the configuration.

Thank you

In Unraid each data drive is a self-contained file system and there is no requirement for them to be used equally.  The rules on how files are allocated to the various drives is controlled by the settings of individual shares.    With a single parity drive you can have any single drive fail without data loss.    If you have more drives fail then you have parity drives then the data on those any failed data drives will be lost, but all other data drives data will still be fine.

have you read any of the descriptions of how this all works in the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI?