Time to biggify a drive in my array (again), and the CRC error I am faced with..what next?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

It's been a while (a year or more) that I've had to change anything on my unRAID server, but today, I wanted to upgrade the only remaining 6TB drive to an 8TB. I did a clean shutdown via terminal, directly on my unRAID, then took out the 6TB and replaced it with an 8TB WD80EDAZ shucked from a new WD My Drive enclosure.

Now that I am back at home and have taken a look at what I am faced with, I am greeted by the following situation (see attached). So, the new drive shows a CRC error, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the health of my array.

What is the safest way to proceed? If possible, could anyone give me very specific step-by-step directions to properly have this 8TB take the place of the removed 6TB drive? I faintly remember having to do a Preclear first, or is that not correct?

Anyway, what to do, what to do? 

2022-01-20_16-51-43.jpg

• Solution

CRC errors are just connection problems recorded by the drive firmware, they won't reset to zero but a few occasionally are OK. If they are increasing you need to figure out what the connection problem is. Looks like that warning is referring to an Unassigned Device not seen in your screenshot, presumably the new drive.

I usually don't bother with preclear but you can if you want. Rebuilding to that new disk will be a good test anyway, and as long as you have the original should be little risk.

To rebuild to another disk, just assign it to the slot you are replacing and start the array.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick response trurl !

I confirmed the error, as you suggested, and started the rebuild of the content to the new drive, without a Preclear...I remember how looong preclears take, and how rarely I did them in the past 15+ years of growing my unRAID.

Here's to hoping that it will all return to normal (+2TB) soon.

And thanks again for helping me along!

Best from Berlin,

Till