Controller Advice

Hi all,

I have a system on windows for a plex server and want to move to an Unraid setup. My first problem is that I have an Delock 10 ports card and from what I could find on the forum this card it's not ok because it's a port multiplier card. So I went on Ebay and ordered an Intel RES2SV240 expander card because I need lots of ports and now I'm searching for the controller. For what I could found on forum some guys already paired this with an LSI 9300-8i controller so I went ahead and searched and I found a few things where I need help.

1. Found a card from Fujitsu CP400i card and from what I understand it has an 9308 chipset and it's already flashed with 9300-8i firmware (LSI Firmware: 9300-8i 16.00.10.00, MPT3 BIOS 08.37.00.00, EFI BIOS 18.00.00.00). My question is if this card it's ok or not and if it's better to find one produced by Lsi or Broadcom. or should I search for another chipset. The card can be found here .

2. If I get a card with 3008 chipset does it get me any improvemests over SAS2308 or should I find a 2308 card because they are cheaper.

3. If that card from pct 1 it's ok what cables do i need. I'm guessing something like this for the controller to the expansion card and this from the expander to the drives. The card comes with a low profile bracket and i need full, does anybody know where i can buy a full profile in Europe?

4. I'm using a consumer motherboard I have and Intel 8700k on a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 board. Are there any compatibility issues with consumer boards?

Thanks

Edited by Velun
14 minutes ago, Velun said:

1. Found a card from Fujitsu CP400i card and from what I understand it has an 9308 chipset and it's already flashed with 9300-8i firmware (LSI Firmware: 9300-8i 16.00.10.00, MPT3 BIOS 08.37.00.00, EFI BIOS 18.00.00.00). My question is if this card it's ok

Fine if flashed to LSI IT mode.

14 minutes ago, Velun said:

2. If I get a card with 3008 chipset does it get me any improvemests over SAS2308 or should I find a 2308 card because they are cheaper.

Both will have the same performance with SAS2/SATA3 expander/devices.

17 minutes ago, Velun said:

3. If that card from pct 1 it's ok what cables do i need. I'm guessing something like this for the controller to the expansion card and this from the expander to the drives

Correct, and the bracket can usually be found on ebay.

17 minutes ago, Velun said:

4. I'm using a consumer motherboard I have and Intel 8700k on a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 board. Are there any compatibility issues with consumer boards?

Usually it's fine, but to be sure you'd need to try it, or find anyone else using it with the same board.

Thank you for the info. One more question do you know if the bracket for the Fujitsu card it's the same as the bracket for the Lsi card? I'm new with enterprise equipment so I ask a lot of questions :).

Thank you again.

Later edit: Ended up ordering an LSI Broadcom 9201-8i. It was a bit cheaper and I hoped it will overheat less than the 9300 one (i plan to mod the card and put an noctua fan on it). Do the cables between the controller and the expander are simple SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 ? or is anything special i should look into. 

Edited by Velun
20 hours ago, Velun said:

One more question do you know if the bracket for the Fujitsu card it's the same as the bracket for the Lsi card?

Should be, even brackets for other controllers like the SASLP and SAS2LP work with standard LSI controllers.

20 hours ago, Velun said:

Do the cables between the controller and the expander are simple SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 ?

Yep.