Drive pre-failure warnings and read errors - replace disk?

volcs0

Theoretically the errors shown are not fatal, but they are never a good sign.    You could try running the extended SMART test to see if that completes successfully.

31 minutes ago, volcs0 said:

Should I just replace the drive? 

That is what I would recommend.

32 minutes ago, volcs0 said:

If I do replace it, is the drive likely not usable anymore

In addition to the extended SMART test once the drive is out of the array you could also try running a pre-clear cycle against it.   The results would give you an idea if the drive is still usable.

24 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Theoretically the errors shown are not fatal, but they are never a good sign.    You could try running the extended SMART test to see if that completes successfully.

That is what I would recommend.

In addition to the extended SMART test once the drive is out of the array you could also try running a pre-clear cycle against it.   The results would give you an idea if the drive is still usable.

OK - I will replace the drive. 

On the same server, can I mount the old drive as an unassigned drive and (1) run the extended SMART test and (2) run a pre-clear? Will that work? Should I wait until the parity rebuild is finished on the new drive?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, volcs0 said:

OK - I will replace the drive. 

On the same server, can I mount the old drive as an unassigned drive and (1) run the extended SMART test and (2) run a pre-clear? Will that work? Should I wait until the parity rebuild is finished on the new drive?

Thanks.

You do just leave the drive plugged in - no need to mount it.

I would avoid running a preclear until the rebuild is finished just in case the rebuild goes wrong and you need to try and get something off the old drive.    The SMART test can be run at any time as it is non-destructive.

2 hours ago, itimpi said:

You do just leave the drive plugged in - no need to mount it.

I would avoid running a preclear until the rebuild is finished just in case the rebuild goes wrong and you need to try and get something off the old drive.    The SMART test can be run at any time as it is non-destructive.

OK. I pulled the drive - sitting here on my desk.

Will wait until the rebuild is done (~16 hours). 

Then will put drive back in and run a pre-clear on it (is this still possible in 6.9?)