Minimum Free Space For Both Cache AND Array

miicar

So i have built a few UNraid boxes, and i keep running into a little dilemma.  I would like the option, in "Shares", to have a seperate "Minimum Free Space" settings for the array AND the cache of a particular share. 

Sometimes i would like my array disks to not fill up with less than 200GB free remaining, but my SSD cache drive on that share is only an 150GB M.2 and i don't want that to fill up with less then 20GB free space remaining!  I hope you all see my dilemma! 

Currently, i have no choice but to set the "Minimum Free Space", for a share, to the minimum i want left on the SSD Cache, but the HDD on the Array copies all the way to that 20GB free mark as well; if i set the share up to leave 200GB free, my cache isn't used at all!  It will spin up the array and write directly to it (defeating the reason to have a fast write cache at all on that share).

This is one of the frew things that has always bugged me since i started using UNraid...maybe i'm the only one cuz i don't see anyone else complaining.  hahaha  I hope i trigger something!

I understand why you are using the share level setting in the way you describe.

There are already separate settings for the Minimum Free Space - one on the settings for a share and the other on a cache pool’s settings.  The problem is that at the moment if the one for the share is larger than the one set for the cache then the share level value is also used for the cache.   I have always thought that was a bug rather than intentional behaviour as it seems to me these two settings should be independent of each other so the cache level setting should always be used for the cache regardless of the value set for the share.

• 10 months later...