Rsync errors using Delta copy

Newbie here.

Thanks for the Great forum and unRaid community , I was able to setup my unRaid server and is working great. Intial setup is small 2X2TB Drive and a 2TB parity drive. I plan to expand later once initial kinks are resolved.. Past few days I have been trying to setup rsync so that i can backup all my PC's( 1 PC and 2 Laptops) important files to unRaid server everyday. All my PC's are either win 64 machines or Vista. Installed Delta copy in all these machines.

I read every topic on rsync in this forum(Tibbar-WeeboTech) but still rsync is not working in my setup. I have setup rsyncd.conf file and s20-init.rsyncd file as well as described.

Here is the error that I am getting. I am complete noob to linux. so please help me.

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/backup# /usr/bin/rsync rsync://Tower/

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]

rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(632) [receiver=3.0.4]

I tried IP address as well still same error

>:(

That error tells us rsync doesn't have enough information to do what you want. You'd get the same thing using "rsync horned:toad".

It can be used many ways, but is generally called with more than what you show in your example.

e.g.

rsync -optionsandsuchthatoftenlookugly source destination

Could you maybe reference a thread you learned from that would provide context?

Cyrnel

Some more additional info. my thought process was to setup rsync in unraid box as a server and deltacopy as client running in various PC's. I will then schedule backup run using deltacopy. But right now I am trying to test rsync @ unRaid and make sure it is setup correctly at the server end.

1. my rsyncd.conf is setup in /boot/custom/etc and /etc as described in the forum topic

uid            = root

gid            = root

use chroot      = no

max connections = 4

pid file        = /var/run/rsyncd.pid

timeout        = 600

log file        = /var/log/rsyncd.log

[backup]

path      = /mnt/disk1/backup 

comment  = /mnt muthu files   

read only = FALSE

list      = yes

2. my S20-init.rsyncd file stored in /boot/custom/etc/rc.d/

#!/bin/bash

if ! grep ^rsync /etc/inetd.conf > /dev/null ; then

cat <<-EOF >> /etc/inetd.conf

rsync  stream  tcp    nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/bin/rsync --daemon

EOF

read PID < /var/run/inetd.pid

kill -1 ${PID}

fi

cp /boot/custom/etc/rsyncd.conf /etc/rsyncd.conf

3. Go Script I added a line

/boot/custom/etc/rc.d/s20-init.rsyncd

Now I tried to check running rsync @ unRaid I am getting the above error. your direction is appreciated.

Here syslog Error msg

Apr 28 17:19:43 Tower rsyncd[2924]: bind() failed: Address already in use (address-family 2)

Apr 28 17:19:43 Tower rsyncd[2924]: socket(10,1,6) failed: Address family not supported by protocol

Apr 28 17:19:43 Tower rsyncd[2924]: unable to bind any inbound sockets on port 873

Apr 28 17:19:43 Tower rsyncd[2924]: rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at socket.c(541) [receiver=3.0.4]

A quick look says init doesn't know about rsync yet. If you haven't rebooted then you need to run your S20-init.rsyncd yourself. Next time you reboot the go script will have done it for you.

Edit: Note your example here mixes "s20-init.rsyncd" and "S20-init.rsyncd" somewhat. Remember n*x is case sensitive so be careful of that.