Lost Files on disk 15 after adding drive to array. 6.9.2

mhaaland

I noticed that my mover wasn't running today and found out that my movie (Blu-Ray) share was out of space.  

So i shut down the server added a new drive (Disk23) that was previous pre-cleared, rebooted, formatted and then ran mover.   During the mover running i was checking out the shares and ran the compute on the Blu-Ray share.  I noticed something off and found out the Disk 15 was missing all of the files from before and mover was writing the new cache files to it.  So i immediately shut down the server and rebooted.  Still missing about 200 files from Disk 15.  Not sure if I'm screwed or not?  I wish i would have noticed before running the mover manually.  Here are my diags.  Thanks

tower-diagnostics-20220217-0854.zip

It looks as if disk15 was reformatted at some point as it appears to be basically empty.  The diagnostics appear to be just after booting so cannot tell much else from them.

Was there any chance that when you added the new disk23 that disk15 was showing as unmountable (due to file system level corruption) so when you tired to format disk23 you did not check that was showing as the only disk to be formatted so you also accidentally formatted disk15 as well?

It is possible a disk recovery such as UFS Explorer on Windows could recover much of the deleted data.  You have to decide if this is worthwhile or if it is easier to recover the data from your backups or via some other method.