What hard disk?

Newbie here. I want to build an unraid server and use it with a cloud service like Nextcloud (or something similar).

The main purpose is syncing stuff remotely on my computers and phones. Sort of like OneDrive. So my connection speed is likely to be the bottleneck.

Given this use case I think having a SSD cache may not be useful.

Would it make sense to invest more in a parity drive and for storage pick something cheaper?

I am considering the Toshiba N300 4TB for parity and two cheaper WD Purple 4TB for 8TB of total storage.

Would this setup make sense? Advice and considerations are welcome. Thanks.

I have found that I can buy a Toshiba S300 4TB WT740 (5400RPM, 128MB cache, SMR) for quite a reasonable price. This seems to be designed for surveillance use.

Since my use case is mainly remote backup, bottle-necked by internet speeds, would this be a suitable drive?

Would I be right in assuming it won't make difference even if I were to choose a faster drive?

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

SMR drives can get quite slow writing, no experience with that specific model but I do have some Toshiba P300 SMR and those can get as slow as 5MB/s for a few minutes, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the response.

Would it be correct to say that Write performance is limited to the speed of the Parity drive or relevant Array drive, whichever is slower, but Read would be limited to the Array drive only?

If so, perhaps the S300 would make a good Parity drive, and for Read I could invest in something more speedier. I think Read would be a more urgent requirement compared to Write.

Any thoughts?

17 hours ago, Shahmatt said:

Would it be correct to say that Write performance is limited to the speed of the Parity drive or relevant Array drive, whichever is slower, but Read would be limited to the Array drive only?

Correct, so if parity is slow as writes will be slow, but if that's not a problem...