32 bit Windows 10 VM - 4GB installed 2GB usable

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to setup a Windows 10 virtual machine to run some hardware that requires 32 bit drivers.  I'd like to maximize the available memory to this system which should be 4GB (as that is the limit of a 32bit system).

I've created the VM and assigned the 4GB (as both the min and max available).  When I boot Windows and check the RAM, it says 4GB installed 2GB Available.  In my experience this is usually because RAM is being allocated to run an onboard video card, but that is with physical hardware, not a VM.  Not sure why this would be happening.

I've done some searching on these forums and I haven't found anything, but to be fair, there is ALOT of content on here so I may be missing it.  Apologies if this has already been asked and I'm not finding the answer on my own.

Any ideas why I can't get access to the full 4GB of RAM?

Thanks!

Hi RiDDiX and thanks for the reply!

I'm only passing through two Hauppague Colossus video capture cards.  Otherwise everything is just standard VM components.  Eventually I would like to pass through a FireWire card and a couple of USB devices, but they aren't allocated to the VM yet.

Is it normal for the VM to use that much RAM to run the virtual hardware?