Unable to run smart test on Netapp DS4243 disks (Solved)

Sinister
Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hello i am trying to run smart tests on disks connected my disk shelf, the problem is this seems to not be supported via GUI. After some googling i found on the unraid reddit page a recommendation to a script, when i do i am getting the following error on the disks connected via the disk shelf.

Short offline self test failed [unsupported scsi opcode]
smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [x86_64-linux-5.10.28-Unraid] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Short offline self test failed [aborted command]

Can anyone provide some guidance ?

for i in {b..z}; do
    smartctl --test=short /dev/sd$i
done

Edited by Sinister
Solved
5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If you're using SATA disks with interposeres remove them and they will be seen as regular SATA devices, assuming a true HBA is being used.

i apologize for my ignorance but i am unsure with interposeres is however i am using sata disks for sure seagate 8TB drives and the HBA i am using is LSI 9212-4i4e 6Gb SAS Controller Card HBA Card Internal External IT Mode US

Disks are been seen as SAS:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               ST8000DM
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)

Interposers are the little board at the back of the caddys:

imagem.thumb.png.cc2c99b085c24579f593514474de82c2.png

If you remove this the disks will been seen as SATA, note that doing this will require doing a new config in Unraid since all the devices names will change.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Disks are been seen as SAS:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               ST8000DM
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)

Interposers are the little board at the back of the caddys:

imagem.thumb.png.cc2c99b085c24579f593514474de82c2.png

If you remove this the disks will been seen as SATA, note that doing this will require doing a new config in Unraid since all the devices names will change.

so wait i never needed those for the sata drive to connect to the disk shelf ? feeling incredibly foolish. if i do need a new config how will i go about doing that ?

6 minutes ago, Sinister said:

so wait i never needed those for the sata drive to connect to the disk shelf ?

Not only not needed but it will prevent some functionalities, you'll need to move the disks a little back without them, never used NetApp enclosures but there should be holes in the caddy for that.

9 minutes ago, Sinister said:

if i do need a new config how will i go about doing that ?

If the the devices name change you'll need to go to Tools -> New config, reassign all the disks in their original positions, check "parity is already valid" and start the array.

44 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

On a second look, they might not change, you'll need to try.

OK, didn't look at everything initially, you have a second HBA, there won't be an issue with the disks connected there and also those on the onboard SATA controller, the disks on the NetApp will have their name changed, so a new config will be required.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Not only not needed but it will prevent some functionalities, you'll need to move the disks a little back without them, never used NetApp enclosures but there should be holes in the caddy for that.

If the the devices name change you'll need to go to Tools -> New config, reassign all the disks in their original positions, check "parity is already valid" and start the array.

That definitely resolves this, removing the interposer enabled the smart features. the only thing left is to find the correct screws for my drive caddies and do a data rebuild one by one. Thank you

• Sinister changed the title to Unable to run smart test on Netapp DS4243 disks (Solved)
Just now, JorgeB said:

Do you mean those disks din't mount due to invalid partition layout? I would assume just removing the interposers wouldn't cause an issue other than the name change.

IT changed the name slightly and unraid had a wrong under it when i selected it in the same slot  before it was 004-2CX188_SM_XXXXXXXX  to now

ST8000DM004-2CX188_XXXXXXXX