A few questions before using Unraid

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi,

I am planning to purchase some parts for a Plex Media Server and thinking about using Unraid as the OS. I've never used any other OS other than Windows & MacOS so Unraid will be very new to me.

I have a few questions to see if Unraid is OK for me.

1. I already have 2 8TB HDDs in my Windows computer which I will be moving across to my NAS, I am going to be purchasing 2 more 8TB HDDs. Will I be able to setup Unraid with the 2 8TB HDDs, move across the files from my windows computer to the Unraid NAS and then add the other 2 8TB HDDs once they are wiped?
  2. Is it easy to add more drives as and when?
  3. Can I access the NAS via a Windows PC or Macbook or would everything have to be done by plugging the NAS into a screen?

I think that's it for now.

Thanks 🙂

• Solution

1.  Yes.   

2.  Very easy as long as you have the ports available to plug them into.   They do not all need to be the same size.

3.  Many people run their Unraid servers headless.   You may need a monitor/keyboard temporarily plugged in to support setting up the BIOS to boot off the flash drive unless the motherboard you select has IPMI support (which allows this to be done over the network).   The Unraid management GUI uses a web browser so that can run anywhere that supports a browser.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

1.  Yes.   

2.  Very easy as long as you have the ports available to plug them into.   They do not all need to be the same size.

3.  Many people run their Unraid servers headless.   You may need a monitor/keyboard temporarily plugged in to support setting up the BIOS to boot off the flash drive unless the motherboard you select has IPMI support (which allows this to be done over the network).   The Unraid management GUI uses a web browser so that can run anywhere that supports a browser.

Awesome, I was worried it would be difficult to add the 2 8TB HDDs currently in use into the system.

I would have 6 ports available but to begin with I would only be using 4 so good to know that I can easily add more. Is it as simple as plugging in or is there setting up to do as well?

I would also run the Unraid server headless. Would I need to use a wired keyboard and mouse as I currently only have wireless to do the initial setup?

Thanks

5 hours ago, matt3 said:

Awesome, I was worried it would be difficult to add the 2 8TB HDDs currently in use into the system.

No problem except for the fact that Unraid has to format any drive it is using so existing contents get lost.   Did not sound as if this was an issue for you?

5 hours ago, matt3 said:

I would have 6 ports available but to begin with I would only be using 4 so good to know that I can easily add more. Is it as simple as plugging in or is there setting up to do as well?

When you plug in the drive then Unraid will handle the mechanics of integrating it into the existing arrsy

5 hours ago, matt3 said:

would also run the Unraid server headless. Would I need to use a wired keyboard and mouse as I currently only have wireless to do the initial setup?

As long as the keyboard does not need an operating system running it would be fine.   Typically it means that a Bluetooth keyboard will not work, but if it has a dongle (e.g. Most Logitech keyboards) it will work fine.

14 hours ago, itimpi said:

No problem except for the fact that Unraid has to format any drive it is using so existing contents get lost.   Did not sound as if this was an issue for you?

No, that would be fine as I would move all the data across to the 2 new HDDs setup in Unraid.

When you plug in the drive then Unraid will handle the mechanics of integrating it into the existing arrsy

Oh awesome, sounds like it's pretty easy then.

As long as the keyboard does not need an operating system running it would be fine.   Typically it means that a Bluetooth keyboard will not work, but if it has a dongle (e.g. Most Logitech keyboards) it will work fine.

Great! Mine should work fine then as it's a Logitech with a dongle.

Thanks for your help.