New setup help

gumby327

4 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Has it always been actively cooled? Server grade parts expect lots of airflow, sometimes when they are used in normal desktop style cases instead of rack mount, they need a dedicated fan.

No, and that is my guess is that the HBA controller overheated on me.  It all works good with 7 drives.  When I add 8 things work for a bit then erode fast then poof it locks the disk.  The replacement HBA controller is coming.  I have a RAID controller here as well I may just force it to HBA.

It has been running now for about a week and the improvements are:

1.  The HBA controller, same old one, is now in an 8x slot.

2.  The HBA controller has a 1.5 inch fan cooling it.

3.  The Strix ATA full motherboard is a ton more flexible and works better in unRAID for my needs.

4.  The NODE 804 is now relegated down to my backup PC.  The Fractal Designs R5 is the right box for the job because every hard drive has fresh air forced over it.

5.  I went to Version: 6.10.0-rc3 up from the stable release.  That made my thermals start working.

What I am seeing is full parity check and no problems yet.

Last night after replacing the entire computer around the HBA SAS controller I continued to see CRC fails.  So, well me being me I had a rock solid backup server I took the controllers and switched them from my backup to my main computer.  And now we have the answer.  These controllers are all old crap, and the best crappy one I have is actually the worst.  Has nothing to do with unRAID or CPU's or motherboards, no.  It was the $232 SAS controller card all along.  So, now in my backup server I now have a ton of CRC errors after all night parity checking.