Cam I shrink an Array with no Parity?

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi, due to migrating from Truneas I had to utilise all the HDDs. I created an array with no parity drive thinking once i finish i can remove a HDD from the Array and use it as Parity drive. Once all copying finished i stopped the array unassigned a HDD and tried to start the array but could not, its saying, its missing too many disks. Is there a way to overcome this and remove a HDD form the Array so i can use it as Parity? TIA.

HDD Location.png

43 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You need to do a new config, after that you can re-assign a data disk to parity.

Thank you. will try this over the weekend. Used unbalance and already moved everything in disks 6 and 7 to the other disks.

Can you please confirm if these steps are correct?

1. Stop the array

2. Tools --> New Config -->

Preserve current assignments = none

Yes, I want to do this = ticked --> Apply

3.  Main page -->

assign all disks except disk 6 and 7

assign cache drives

4.  Start the array, it will start without disks 6 and 7

Folders and files will be intact?

5.  Check to confirm all there the folders and files etc

6.  Stop the array, add disks 6 and 7 as parity drives and start the array again

7.  Unraid will build parity drives

8. Install any apps dockers etc

Many thanks

• Solution
2 minutes ago, Propro009 said:

Preserve current assignments = none

You can preserve all, then just un-assign disks 6 and 7, less work and also less chance of making a mistake.

You can assign them as parity immediatly, but you can also start the array without them first if you want, either way all data on the remaining data disks will still be there.

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can preserve all, then just un-assign disks 6 and 7, less work and also less chance of making a mistake.

You can assign them as parity immediatly, but you can also start the array without them first if you want, either way all data on the remaining data disks will still be there.

Thank you!!